Breakfast was something we struggled the most with to vegan-ize. We tried some different egg replacers and they were okay, but we found we preferred the taste of a tofu scramble the best! The great part is it’s cheaper than the egg replacements and so easy to make!
I ate mine pretty simple, as is, with some Emborg cheddar style shreds on top, paired with tomato slices and avocado on the side. My boyfriend had his with sriracha and the Emborg shredded cheese and had his avocado on a buttered (with Vegan Becel) bagel.
Here’s how we made it!
- Extra firm tofu
- Black salt
- Nutritional yeast
- Your choice of vegan shredded cheese
- Press your extra-firm tofu. If you don’t have a tofu press, you can put it on a plate with paper towels and a heavy plate or frying pan on top
- Break up the tofu using a fork, pulling it into small pieces
- Melt vegan butter in your frying pan (on medium-low heat)
- Add tofu with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric, ¼ teaspoon of nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon black salt (kala namak*) and ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sautee in a pan for about 6-8 minutes or until heated through and serve topped with vegan cheese of your choice! Enjoy!
* If you don’t know about black salt – it’s an ingredient that makes tofu taste more like real eggs. It’s sulphurous which is where the scent/flavour comes from.