I’d say one of the hardest things to miss is shawarma/gyro’s as a vegan, because right now there’s not many alternative options (at least where we live)! Even if you get a meat alternative like falafel, there’s not a vegan mayo sauce/tzatziki. Now that we’ve made this recipe at home however, it definitely satisfies that craving!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Beefless strips
- Crumbled dairy free feta
- ½ block tofu
- 2 tbsp plain dairy free yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp of dry or fresh dill
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium and add your beefless strips
- While those cook, add tofu, yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and dill into a blender. Pulse until smooth and creamy
- In a separate bowl mix your vegan mayo, with sriracha to desired spicy-ness
- Once beefless tips are done, remove from heat
- Place your pitas wrapped in paper towel in the microwave for 30 seconds so they’re easier to open
- Dice up your veggies
- Build your gyro with your beefless strips, add your lettuce, tomato, onion, drizzle with tzatziki, and spicy mayo. Top with crumbled feta and enjoy!