We veganized the popular Chinese dish lemon chicken! These were so delicious. With a crunchy outer crust and a sweet tangy homemade lemon sauce, this dish will satisfy every craving!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
YOU WILL NEED:
For breaded tofu
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 2 cups of unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of vegan breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grape seed oil
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
For lemon sauce
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- The juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 tsp of finely grated ginger
- 1/2 a cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 3 tbsp of maple syrup
- 3 tbsp of all purpose flour or cornstarch
- A pinch of sesame seeds to garnish
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped green onion
- To make your sauce, heat up a small saucepan on medium low heat.
- Add your avocado oil, shredded ginger and minced garlic, let it cook until garlic starts to brown.
- Stir in your vegetable broth, soy sauce, maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Slowly add your flour or cornstarch, be sure to whisk constantly so it doesn’t clump (this will help to thicken your sauce).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- While your sauce simmers you can begin to fry your tofu, heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add in your grape seed oil.
- In a bowl whisk together your cashew milk and all purpose flour to reach a pancake batter consistency.
- On a large plate pour out your vegan breadcrumbs.
- Pat your tofu dry with paper towel to remove any liquid and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Evenly coat your tofu slices in the cashew milk batter first followed by your breadcrumbs.
- Fry your tofu slices for approximately 7-8 minutes each side, checking for a nice golden brown colour.
- Once your tofu is cooked you can plate them. Top with a few spoonfuls of your lemon sauce, a sprinkle of sesame seeds and your diced green onion. Serve and enjoy!