Oyster mushrooms are a great meat alternative. They have a wonderful meaty texture and a rich earthy flavour! This was our first time grilling them on the barbecue and they turned out amazing. We drizzled them with a buttery garlic and herb sauce to give them a little flavour boost! We recommend pairing this dish with other bbq favourites such as corn on the cob, grilled veggies or a vegan potato salad!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
YOU WILL NEED:
- Two packages of baby king oyster mushrooms
- One tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- One cup of cashew milk
- Four cloves of garlic (minced)
- One tbsp of fresh basil (chopped)
- Half a tbsp of dried thyme
- Half a tbsp of dried oregano
- Three tbsp of vegan butter
- 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
- Heat a small saucepan on medium low heat.
- Add your vegan butter to your saucepan. Once butter has melted stir in your minced garlic and all purpose flour. It should start to look like a paste.
- Lower heat and continue to stir to make sure your flour doesn’t burn. Add in your cashew milk, basil, thyme and oregano.
- Lower heat and let sauce simmer.
- Set your grill to medium heat and close lid to let it heat up.
- Chop your oyster mushrooms into strips lengthwise to showcase their beautiful shape and toss into a large bowl.
- Drizzle with your extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Grill your mushrooms for roughly 10 minutes each side checking occasionally to avoid over charring.
- Once mushrooms are a golden brown colour remove from grill and plate.
- Drizzle with garlic herb sauce and enjoy!