We all get those cravings for something breaded, crunchy and satisfying. This sandwich is a much healthier alternative to fast food and still delivers an amazing combination of flavours! Breaded eggplant topped with a cauliflower slaw and pickled banana peppers. We love playing around with flavour profiles and this did not disappoint. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 large eggplant
- Sprouted burger buns (or your favourite burger buns)
- 2 cups of vegan breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups of cashew milk
- 1/2 a cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup of vegan mayo
- 2 cups of cauliflower slaw or cabbage slaw
- 1/4 cup of pickled banana peppers
Toppings can be interchangeable! Don’t be afraid to add your favourite toppings to add even more flavour. Avocados would work beautifully on this sandwich as well!
- Slice your eggplant into 1/4 inch slices and set aside (don’t forget to rinse!)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together your cashew milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. It should be roughly the consistency of pancake batter!
- Pour your breadcrumbs onto a large plate
- Set your air fryer to 375 degrees. If you don’t have an air fryer you can pan fry them with a generous amount of oil
- While you wait for your air fryer to heat up you can begin counting each eggplant slice in your batter followed by your breadcrumbs
- Fry your eggplant for roughly 15 minutes checking occasionally. They should turn a beautiful golden brown colour when they’re done! Set aside to cool for 5 minutes
- In a bowl mix your cauliflower slaw with your vegan mayo and stir
- You can now build your ultimate eggplant sandwich! Start with your breaded eggplant, top with cauliflower slaw and banana peppers! Serve and enjoy.