This was a perfect comfort dish! We used large portobello mushrooms for the beef replacement. The flakey pastry melts in your mouth and the cranberry glaze gives the Wellington a lovely sweet taste. Serve with a side of your favourite veggies and you’re good to go!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp of fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp of fresh thyme
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 pack of vegan puff pastry
- 1/2 a cup of cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup of pre made vegan gravy
- Start by heating a large frying pan on medium heat and add half of your vegan butter to the pan.
- Once butter is heated add your diced onion, minced garlic, rosemary and thyme. Sauté until onions become translucent. Quickly set your mushrooms topside down in the pan overtop of onions and garlic for a few minutes to soften them.
- Remove your mushrooms and set aside. Next stir in your cranberry sauce to the pan mixture and lower heat. It should thicken up a bit after cooking for a few minutes.
- Set out your puff pastry after lightly dusting your counter top with flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cranberry filling from heat and let cool for a few minutes before spooning it onto your puff pastry. You can get creative about how you wrap your mushrooms in the pastry. We put our mushrooms in the centre of the pastry and folded the surrounding edges up overtop.
- Once you have your filling spread onto pastry you can set your mushrooms topside down on top of your filling in the centre of the pastry sheet. Fold edges up and over the mushrooms. Flip over so that your mushroom tips are facing up.
- Carefully set on baking tray and use the other half of your vegan butter to glaze the top of the pastry, this will give it a beautiful golden brown colour.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden colour is achieved. Be sure to poke a few holes in the pastry to let steam escape.
- Remove from over and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice your Wellington into large strips and serve with a side of veggies and a vegan mushroom gravy! Enjoy.