If you’re looking for something with more flair than your average tomato pasta sauce then this recipe is for you! This rigatoni is topped with a creamy sweet potato cashew cream sauce and savoury tofu ricotta. We hope this dish adds a little more excitement into your pasta routine!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- 2 cups of unsweetened cashew milk
- 2 raw sweet potatoes (diced into chunks)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms (diced)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of fresh rosemary
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp of fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp of fresh oregano
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 bag of rigatoni noodles
- Heat a large deep skillet on medium low heat and add your vegan butter.
- Throw in your diced mushrooms and onions and sauté until onions are translucent then add your minced garlic.
- In a blender combine your water, cashew milk, raw cashews and sweet potatoes. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour your blended sauce into the pan with your mushrooms, onions and garlic. Stir to combine.
- add fresh rosemary and thyme to your sauce and lower heat.
- Heat a separate pan on medium low heat and add a bit of vegan butter.
- In a food processor pulse your tofu, garlic powder and nutritional yeast until a ricotta like texture is reached. Pour into your separate pan.
- Fold in your chopped fresh basil and oregano. Lower heat.
- Boil a large pot of water and cook your rigatoni until tender.
- Strain pasta noodles and pour back into your large pot. Pour your sweet potato cashew sauce into your pasta bowl and stir to combine.
- Plate your pasta (the more sauce the better) and top with a large dollop of your tofu ricotta. Serve and enjoy!