We’ve made several lasagnas over the course of our vegan relationship, but this one takes the cake! Loaded with veggies and vegan sausage and filled with layers of creamy cashew sauce this dish will make people wonder why they didn’t go vegan earlier!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 5-6 people
- 1 tube of vegan sausage (we used Lightlife)
- 1/4 cup of vegan butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 pack of sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of fresh basil
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/4 cup of vegan cashew milk
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 9 sheets of uncooked lasagna pasta noodles
- 2 tbsp of crushed almonds or breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add half of your vegan butter.
- Once pan is hot, throw in your diced onions and sliced mushrooms. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Crumble in your vegan sausage breaking it into small chunks with your hands. After your sausage, add half of your minced garlic and fresh basil.
- Pour in your can of diced tomatoes, 2 tbsp of tomato paste and 1/4 cup of water. Lower heat and stir to combine.
- Heat a separate pan on medium low heat and add remaining vegan butter.
- Once pan is hot, add your remaining minced garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes until garlic begins to brown.
- In a blender combine your raw cashews with water and cashew milk. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour your cashew sauce overtop of your sautéed garlic and butter. Lower heat and add your cashew cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Prep a large baking dish and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Begin to layer your lasagna, starting with a bottom layer of your sausage tomato sauce. Next a layer of your cashew sauce and baby spinach followed by pasta noodles. Repeat this process until the dish is full, make sure to end with a layer of your cashew sauce!
- Top with a handful of crushed almonds and nutritional yeast. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover half way through cooking.
- Remove from oven and let it set for 5-10 minutes. Slice into large squares, serve and enjoy!
One response to “CREAMY “SAUSAGE” LASAGNA”
I sure this will keep the meat eaters happy!