This recipe was delicious. The sauce was so creamy and flavourful! It was also our first time trying out chickpea pasta and it was so yummy and filling. This is a great post workout meal it’s loaded with fiber and protein! We love pasta but we also love finding healthier versions.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4-5 people
- 6-8 cups of raw chickpea pasta (we used Chickapea)
- 1 bag of veggie meatballs (we used Gardein)
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups of your favourite tomato pasta sauce
- 3 cups of unsweetened oat milk (we used Oat Canada)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 a cup of your favourite melting vegan shreds or cashew cheese
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Heat a large skillet on medium low heat and add your vegan butter.
- Once pan is hot you can add in your diced onion and spinach.
- Sauté for a few minutes until spinach cooks down then you can mix in your minced garlic! Garlic tends to brown faster than the other veggies that’s why we add it a little later.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Next you can pour your tomato sauce and oat milk into the pan with your veggies and lower heat.
- Place your meatballs in the oven for slightly less time than they call for – we are going to finish cooking them in our sauce to soak up all that flavour!
- Once sauce is at a low simmer you can add your salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and cashew cheese. After you add the cheese your sauce should begin to thicken up.
- Remove meatballs from oven and place them in your sauce.. make sure to give it a stir every so often to avoid burning.
- Boil a large pot of water for your pasta and cook for roughly 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Strain pasta and place back in pot. Ladle a good amount of your sauce into your pasta pot and stir gently. Save some sauce to top with.
- Place a few meatballs on top and ladle a few spoonfuls of sauce overtop. Top with fresh basil and another sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Serve and enjoy! This recipe saves great for leftovers.