Oyster mushrooms have to be our favourite meat alternative. They have such a deep earthy texture and when cooked correctly, we find the texture resembles that of chicken. It’s a super healthy, natural way to get some meaty textures into your vegan dishes! Not to mention the health benefits. We made a creamy sauce to blend all these flavours together and it turned out amazing! We hope you enjoy.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serves: 2 people
- 3 cups of oyster mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- 3 cups of cashew milk
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp of gluten free flour
- 1 tsp of fresh basil (chopped)
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/2 an onion (diced)
- 4-5 banana peppers (very finely diced)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 2 servings of spaghetti noodles
- Heat a large skillet on medium low heat and add your vegan butter.
- Once butter is melted add your diced onion, garlic, banana peppers, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the onions become translucent. Stir often to avoid burning!
- Lower your heat and stir in your gluten free flour, it should start to form a bit of a paste. This will help thicken your sauce!
- Pour in your cashew milk and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine.
- Fill a large pot with water and boil your pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a smaller frying pan on medium heat and add a touch more vegan butter just to grease your pan.
- Add your mushrooms to your smaller pan and cook for roughly 10 minutes or until they become golden brown.
- Strain pasta and pour back into your pot. Ladle your cream sauce overtop of your pasta and serve in a large bowl.
- Place a few mushrooms overtop of your pasta dish and finish with a dash of fresh chopped basil and nutritional yeast. Enjoy!