We were gifted a pack of Neophyto Foods craft it yourself plant-based ground meat! This product is perfect because it allows you to know exactly what’s in your plant-based meat. It also allows you to get creative because you can season and mix other flavours into your veggie ground.
We were thinking about what recipe we could come up with to really showcase the versatility of this amazing product. We decided to make homemade pierogis! These pierogis are filled with plant-based meat and a touch of creamy cashew cheese, they are topped with a sweet & spicy pepper herb sauce. These are surprisingly easy to put together although it does take a bit of time. We hope you find them as delicious as we did!
If you’d like to try this plant-based meat, use code PLANTBASED80 to get 80% off one package when you purchase 2 or more! (Free shipping over $30 within Canada)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 people
- 1 pack of Neophyto craft it yourself plant-based meat
- 3 tbsp of Nuts For Cheese cashew cheese
- 3 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 cup and 1 tbsp of ice cold water
- 2 tbsp of grape seed oil
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/2 of an onion (finely chopped)
- 6-7 small sweet peppers (you can find these at most grocery stores, they are smaller than regular bell peppers and have a more savoury taste) but any pepper will work
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 2 tbsp of fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 1/4 cup of semolina flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup of room temp water
- 2 1/2 tsp of avocado oil
- Start by making your dough, clear a space on your countertop.
- Combine your flour, semolina flour and 1/2 tsp of salt into a small pile on your counter.
- Create a sort of bowl in the middle of your flour pile and slowly pour your 3/4 cup of room temp water and your 2 1/2 tsp of avocado oil into the middle of your pile.
- Carefully start to mix and kneed your dough until it starts to form a pizza dough like consistency.
- Wrap your dough in wax paper or plastic wrap and place in fridge for 15-20 minutes to set.
- Now follow directions on your package of plant based meat and once finished set in fridge with your dough! The ingredients listed above will cover what you will require for your plant based meat!
- Heat a large frying pan on medium low heat and add your vegan butter and your 2 tbsp of grape seed oil.
- Once pan is hot add your minced garlic, diced onion, chopped peppers, chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Lightly flour your countertop and remove dough from fridge. Proceed to roll your dough out into a large thin circle resembling a pizza dough!
- Use a glass or a circular cookie cutter to press down and make small circle cuts of dough.
- Spoon a small amount of your Nuts For Cheese cashew cheese into the centre of each circular cut. We used the artichoke cheese and it was delicious but any cheese will work!
- Remove your plant based meat from the fridge and spoon a small amount into the centre of each cut on top of your dollop of cashew cheese.
- Before you form your pierogies heat a large pot of water and bring it to a low boil.
- Proceed to make your pierogies, you will grab one side of your dough and fold it over, making a semi circle shape. Before sealing the edges, dampen with a touch of water, this helps hold the seal during the boiling process. Finish sealing by pressing a fork down on the edges.
- Once they are all formed, boil your pierogies for 6-7 minutes or until they begin to soften. Use a ladle with straining holes to move your boiled pierogies directly into your pan with your sweet pepper and herb sauce.
- Simmer your pierogis in your sauce pan and evenly coat with the pepper sauce. Flip and make sure to get a nice crunch on both sides!
- Plate your pierogis and top with any left over pepper sauce. This was one of our favourite recipes and was 100% worth the effort. We hope you love it as much as we did! Enjoy.