This is such a quick and easy nutritious dinner for the whole family. The tofu is baked and not fried for a healthier experience and this delicious sauce is loaded with garlic, ginger and Thai chilies for a nice bite! It’s become a staple meal in our household, hopefully you will enjoy it just as much!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2 people
- 1 pack of extra firm organic tofu
- 2 cups of jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/2 an onion (diced)
- 5 cloves of fresh garlic (diced)
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger (grated)
- 3 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce (low sodium if possible)
- 2 small diced Thai green chilies (jalapeños will work fine as well)
- 1 large avocado
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prep your tofu. Slice into cubes and line on a baking tray with parchment paper or reusable oven sheet.
- While you wait for your oven to preheat, heat a large skillet on medium heat and add your vegan butter and sesame oil to the pan.
- Place tofu in oven and set timer for 25 minutes. Be sure to flip half way!
- Once your pan is hot you can throw in your diced garlic, chilies, ginger and onion. Sauté in pan for a few minutes until onions become translucent then lower heat a bit.
- You can now add your maple syrup, water and soy sauce. Stir to combine, it may seem a bit watery at first but as the sauce simmers the water will cook out and the flavour will intensify!
- Let sauce simmer stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Maple syrup is very sweet and tends to not do well with high heat situations! Just keep an eye on it.
- While your sauce simmers and your tofu bakes, cook your rice as per package instructions. We find adding a little spoonful of vegan butter to your rice while it’s cooking really helps to give it a nice fluffy texture.
- Once tofu is done baking remove from your oven and place cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon your ginger chili sauce overtop of your tofu and gently toss to coat tofu cubes. If your sauce is still a bit runny add a pinch of any flour you have on hand, this will help thicken it up!
- Plate your rice once it’s cooked to your desired texture, place your ginger chili tofu cubes on top of your rice bowl.
- Sprinkle with your sesame seeds and diced green onions to finish! Serve with fresh avocado and enjoy.