This dish was the perfect comfort food. I remember as a kid my mom used to make us stuffed cannelloni and it was always a meal to look forward to. Using healthy and simple ingredients we easily veganized this dish and it was so delicious. It’s easy to eat healthy, help the planet and save animals all while enjoying stunning flavourful meals prepared at home in your own kitchen! We hope you enjoy.
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
- 1 pack of beyond meat ground
- 2 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 green pepper (finely diced)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1 cup of mushrooms of your choosing (finely chopped)
- 1 pack of uncooked cannelloni noodles
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 pack of extra firm tofu
- The juice from half a lemon
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tbsp of fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic (diced)
- 1 cup of vegan mozza shreds ( we used daiya)
- 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add 1 tbsp of your avocado oil.
- Add your diced onion, green pepper, and mushrooms to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes until veggies soften a bit.
- Add your beyond meat by tearing into small pieces. You can break it up more with your cooking utensil once it starts to brown.
- Lower heat and let it cook for roughly 10 – 15 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper for seasoning.
- In a blender combine your raw cashews, water, tomato sauce, 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Transfer to a bowl, we are going to spoon this sauce overtop of your cannelloni before baking!
- Heat a small pan on medium low heat and add your vegan butter.
- In a blender, break up your tofu into small pieces and combine with your cashew milk, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.. if you need a little more milk don’t be shy! It should be a creamy consistency.
- In your small pan add your diced garlic cloves and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Next pour in your tofu ricotta mixture and the remainder of your nutritional yeast. Stir to combine and lower heat.
- Boil a large pot of water and cook your cannelloni noodles according to package instructions. Take them out 1-2 minutes early because we will be baking them so it’s okay if they are a bit hard still!
- Prep a large baking dish by spooning a bit of your tomato cashew sauce into the bottom of the dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove pasta from pot and run under cook water for a few minutes to cook them off.
- To stuff your cannelloni there’s no real clean way to do it, I used a small spoon to slowly spoon the ground meat and veggie mixture into the cannelloni tubes.
- Place your stuffed pasta into your oven dish. Continue to spoon your tomato cashew sauce overtop of your cannelloni.
- Sprinkle your mozza shreds overtop of your pasta followed by your panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 for around 30 minutes. The last few minutes in the oven hit it with a quick broil you add a nice crunch on the top! Be careful not to burn.
- Remove pasta from the oven and plate. Spoon a good helping of your tofu ricotta overtop of your pasta along with a sprinkle of fresh basil. Serve and enjoy. This recipe may be a bit of work but we promise it’s worth it!