I think we speak for everyone when we say Mac and cheese is a top notch comfort food. What’s better than perfectly cooked pasta, cheesy sauce and a crunchy breadcrumb crust? This recipe is super easy and delicious. It’s so easy to turn your childhood favourites into a healthy vegan treat! This recipe isn’t the healthiest on our blog but everyone deserves a little treat every now and then, right? We hope you enjoy!
VEGAN MAC & CHEESECourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: ComfortDifficulty: Easy
This is such a delicious, comforting meal! Mac and cheese is the best comfort food, and you can be even happier eating it knowing there’s zero animal ingredients in it.
1 box of macaroni noodles
1 cup of raw cashews
3 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
½ a cup of main vegan deli pepper jack cashew cheese
1 cup of water
1 cup of oat milk
A generous pinch
A generous pinch of pepper
½ a tsp of nutmeg
1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
½ a cup of vegan mozzarella shreds
1 shallot (diced)
¼ cup of vegan butter
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add your vegan butter.
- Once pan is hot add your diced shallots and minced garlic. Keep an eye on the heat and adjust accordingly.
- In a blender combine your raw cashews, water and oat milk. blend until smooth.
- Boil a large pot of water and cook your noodles according to package instructions.
- While your noodles boil, pour your cashew sauce into your frying pan and stir to combine. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare a deep baking dish.
- Crumble your pepper jack cashew cheese into your sauce along with your nutmeg, salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer.
- Strain your noodles and pour directly into your baking dish. Pour your cheese sauce overtop of your noodles and stir to combine.
- Top with your mozzarellas shreds and Panko breadcrumbs. Add a pinch more salt and pepper and bake at 400 degrees for roughly 15-20 minutes. You are just baking long enough to get everything bubbling inside and to form your crunchy breadcrumb crust!
- Remove from heat. Scoop, serve and enjoy!