This is a perfect recipe for a chilly fall evening. We have never made gnocchi before so this was a first for us but it turned out amazing! It was a chilly day and we were thinking of a way to make this recipe have more of a fall comfort food vibe to it. The butternut squash cashew sauce takes this dish to a whole new level! Though this recipe may seem intimidating, it’s actually quite simple to put together. We hope you enjoy!
BUTTERNUT GNOCCHICourse: Dinner, LunchDifficulty: Medium
3 medium sized white potatoes (diced)
4 tbsp of semolina flour
4 tbsp of all purpose flour
1 small – medium sized butternut squash (diced)
1 cup of raw cashews
1 cup of water
2 cups of non dairy milk
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 an onion (diced)
4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
2 cups of mushrooms (sliced)
2 cups of spinach
2 tbsp of vegan butter
1/4 cup of vegan cream cheese
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of dried rosemary
1/4 tsp of cumin
2 tbsp of grape seed or avocado oil
- Heat a large pot of water for your potatoes and a large deep frying pan for your sauce. This recipe does require the use of several pans but we promise it’s worth it!
- Once your water is boiling add your cubed potatoes to the pot and lower heat to simmer.
- While you wait for your potatoes you can begin your sauce. Add your vegan butter to the pan followed by your diced onions.
- Once onions begin to turn translucent you can add in your minced garlic, thyme and rosemary. Lower heat.
- In a blender combine your raw cashews, 1 cup of water and 2 cups of non dairy milk. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour your blended sauce along with your vegan cream cheese into your pan and set heat to low. We will leave the sauce here for now!
- Your potatoes should be nice and soft by now. Use a sifter to scoop out your potatoes removing any excess water. Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Keep your water in the pot! We can now add our diced squash into the same water. There’s no need to waste the water as all we are doing is softening up the squash a bit to aid in blending.
- Mash your potatoes into a creamy consistency. Slowly add your semolina flour and all purpose flour into your mashed potatoes mixing well. After a few minutes of mixing it should begin to form a sort of light fluffy dough.
- Flour your countertop to avoid sticking and with your hands, roll out your potato dough into a long log type shape. Cut into equal sections and cut those sections again until you come out with small loonie sized pieces of dough. Leave on floured countertop for now.
- Your squash should be soft enough to blend now! Strain your squash and add into blender along with 1/4 cup of water to help it blend smooth.
- pour your squash purée into your cashew sauce pan and stir well. It should be a beautiful golden orange colour! Add your salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add your avocado oil.
- Form your dough into small balls and lightly press on top of them with a fork to get that classic gnocchi look.
- Once oil is hot add them into the pan. It’s important to be gentle with them at first because it’s a very light dough. Once they are fried a bit they become more durable! Pan fry both sides of gnocchi until a golden brown colour is achieved then throw in your mushrooms and spinach.
- Cook until veggies soften. Plate your fried gnocchi with a topping of your sautéed veggies.
- Now the best part, spoon a generous helping of your butternut sauce overtop of your plated gnocchi! Sprinkle with a dash of salt, pepper and a bit more thyme and rosemary. Serve and enjoy!