This slow cooker rosé sauce recipe is perfect for putting in a mason jar and saving for later. That way, you always have pasta sauce on hand! Sometimes we find regular tomato sauce to be a bit too sweet. Adding a cream element to the sauce really adds a comfort feel and a heartiness to the dish. We used to love alfredo sauce and other creamy pasta sauces so the fact that they are so easy to veganize is a blessing.
This recipe calls for a slow cooker to really let all the flavours mingle and combine into a creamy pot of deliciousness! However, if you dont own a slow cooker you can easily make this sauce by simmering on low heat covered in a large sauce pot. We used mason jars to preserve this sauce and we even gifted some to friends and family! This slow cooker rosé sauce will definitely we something we make again. If you try this we hope you and your loved ones enjoy this sauce as much as we do.
We have many other pasta recipes as we try to switch it up often! It’s consistently been a go-to for us. Instead of making the same kind every time we try many different recipes. Click here for more pastas!
SLOW COOKER ROSÉ SAUCECourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Italian, Comfort FoodDifficulty: Easy
Around 10 ripe Roma tomatoes
1 can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups of raw cashews
1 cup of vegetable stock
1 cup of cashew or almond milk (unsweetened)
7-8 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 cup of packed basil leaves (roughly chopped)
2 tbsp of avocado oil
1 large onion
6 tbsp of nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
1/4 tsp of dried chili flakes (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare a large bowl filled with ice water.
- Carefully place your Roma tomatoes into the boiling water and let them cook for around 8-10 minutes.
- Once you see the skin of the tomatoes starting to peel off and soften, remove tomatoes and place directly into your ice water. This greatly helps the tomatoes shed their outer layer!
- While tomatoes rest in the water, heat a small pan on medium heat and add a very small amount of your avocado oil.
- When pan is hot add your diced onions and garlic. Cook the onions and garlic for a few minutes until they soften. This helps caramelize the onions. We are slow cooking this sauce so it’s important to get a quick pan fry in so you can release their natural sugars!
- Once onions are translucent place directly into your slow cooker along with your can of crushed tomatoes, chopped basil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, vegetable stock, chili flakes and cashew milk.
- In a blender combine your raw cashews with your water and pulse until smooth. If it looks thick that’s okay, this will just help the sauce achieve that beautiful rosé colour!
- Add cashew mix into your slow cooker.
- Roughly chop your bathed Roma tomatoes into small chunks and add them to the cooker along with your remaining avocado oil.
- Cover and set to low heat. As the hours go by the sauce will begin to thicken up because of the cashews. This is normal and once you stir the sauce it will return to a smooth consistency.
- Once sauce is done let it cool and jar for safe keeping! Add to your favourite pasta or sandwiches for a creamy luxurious finish. Enjoy!!