This meal came to life when we were playing around with recipes! It stemmed from us wanting to take some traditional recipes and alter them to make something new and wonderful. We decided we wanted to make a vegan carbonara! Typically with a carbonara, you would use pasta. Instead of doing it as you traditionally would, we decided to plate it on top of crispy shredded potatoes. This turned out to be so delicious and satisfying! The creamy vegan bacon sauce was perfect alongside the asparagus and sautéed veg.
We used our favourite vegan bacon for the topping. It cooks the most like real bacon and tastes delicious both in meals like this vegan carbonara and on sandwiches. We also used fresh asparagus that we received in our Fresh Market Box that you can get as a weekly delivery! It’s super convenient to have produce delivered to your door and it comes straight from farms, which takes out the middle man. Click here for more of our favourite food finds, or check out our Instagram highlights!
We hope you like this little change and we encourage you to broaden your views on how certain dishes can be dazzled up! It’s so satisfying to realize you can make all of your favourite dishes vegan. The more we do it, the more we realize how easy it is. There are so many replacements available, or even whole foods that can be utilized in a way to mimic certain meats. We will continue experimenting and finding new, fun recipes to share with you!
ASPARAGUS CARBONARACourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
This creamy vegan asparagus carbonara is such a fun spin on a regular carbonara!
Around 15 spears of asparagus (ends trimmed)
1/2 an onion (diced)
3 cloves of garlic (diced)
A handful of mushrooms (roughly chopped)
1 tbsp of avocado oil
1/4 tsp of dried parsley
3 large white potatoes (shredded)
2 tbsp of vegan butter
1/2 cup of raw cashews
1 cup of water
6 pieces of chopped vegan bacon
2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
A pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
- Heat two large frying pans of medium heat.
- Add your avocado oil to one and your vegan butter to the other.
- To your avocado oil pan throw in your asparagus, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper. Lower heat and cover.
- Pat your shredded potatoes dry with paper towel squeezing out as much water as possible. Once they’re dry, split it into two equal parts and form two pancake shapes in your pan with the vegan butter.
- Fry your potato pancakes for roughly 7 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove and set aside onto a plate.
- Remove cover and toss your asparagus making sure to evenly cook your veggies. In a blender combine your raw cashews with water, pulse until smooth.
- To your pan previously used for your hash browns add your garlic and chopped vegan bacon. We will use this pan to make our carbonara sauce!
- Once bacon starts to brown (doesn’t take long) pour in your blended cashew sauce and nutritional yeast. Cook for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Remove asparagus and veggies from heat placing on top of your fried potatoes.
- Finally, top with a generous helping of your carbonara sauce and a sprinkle of parsley! Serve and enjoy.