These delicious southern fried “chicken” lettuce wraps are 100% vegan, low carb and will leave you feeling satisfied. We recently went on a little getaway and stopped in at some restaurants with plant based options. One of the dishes we had was a vegan southern fried chicken style sandwich! It was amazing, so we started thinking of ways we could come up with our own version at home. The “chicken” used in this recipe is breaded fried oyster mushrooms. When cooked correctly oyster mushrooms greatly resemble the texture of chicken while also being cruelty free. These wraps are perfect fresh but also save great for later. We wrapped some up for our lunches the following day!
Every good wrap needs a sauce, so we went with a dill cashew based sauce that worked perfectly to balance out each bite. Cashew based sauces are our absolute favourite. They turn out so creamy and don’t even taste dairy free. We hope you enjoy this creation and share it with family and friends! (Abiding by social distancing recommendations of course).
We absolutely love mushrooms. Many of our recipes include them because they’re such a great replacement for meat in recipes, while still being a whole food! They are so delicious whether they’re breaded or not. If you’re looking for more mushroom recipe inspo, check out our other recipes using them!
SOUTHERN FRIED “CHICKEN” WRAPSCourse: APPETIZERS, DINNER, LUNCH
1 large head of romaine lettuce
4 – 5 cups of oyster mushroom heads (torn into strips)
For the sauce
½ cup of raw cashews
3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
1 cup of water
1 tsp of fresh dill
½ tsp of sparsely
¼ tsp of paprika
¼ tsp of garlic powder
A pinch of salt and pepper
For the breading
1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp of cornstarch
1 tsp of sriracha
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tbsp of fine breadcrumbs
½ tsp of salt
½ tsp of pepper
1 tsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of onion powder
¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of paprika
3 – 4 cups of oil for frying
- Grab yourself a mixing bowl and a large plate. Preheat a large deep frying pan on medium heat.
- In your mixing bowl, whisk together your 1 cup of cashew milk, apple cider vinegar, sriracha, and cornstarch.
- Place all other ingredients for your breading onto your plate and stir to make sure they’re all combined. This will leave you with a bowl of et ingredients and a plate of dry.
- To your pan add your oil for frying. We always use avocado oil or grape seed oil because it has a much higher smoke point that more common oils.
- Before you start frying, blend your raw cashews with your water for your sauce. Heat a small saucepan on low heat.
- Pour your cashew water mixture into the pan and whisk in all other ingredients for your sauce. the sauce will thicken after a few minutes.
- Dip your oyster mushroom strips into your wet batter first, followed by rolling in your dry breading. Carefully place your mushrooms into your oil and fry for roughly 8 – 10 minutes each side. We love ours crispy but you can cook them however you’d like!
- Once they’re done, place on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any extra oil. Prep your romaine lettuce leaves.
- Lay a few pieces of mushrooms into your leaves followed by a spoonful of your cashew dill sauce! Serve and enjoy.