This BBQ pulled mushroom flatbread turned out so yummy. If there’s one dish we have been loving lately its flatbreads. They can come in all shapes and sizes! Theres so many different flavour profiles you can create with flatbreads. Something about them feels like your’e out at a pub and trying some appetizers that catch your eye. We have seen pulled pork flatbreads before, so we thought of this much healthier and cruelty free alternative!
When we create dishes, we try to think of the base flavours and how they would blend together. Five main flavours humans can taste are sweet, salty, bitter, sour and umami. Some of these tastes are best suited paired with another. For example, sweet and salty creates a fantastic flavour profile. If you have ever had Chicago mix popcorn or fries dipped in ketchup, these are examples of salty being balanced by sweet! It’s really fun to blend ingredients and create those “wow!” pallet experiences. This recipe blends the flavours of sweet, salty and umami. Umami has been described as a meaty or savoury taste, in the case of this meal… it’s the mushrooms!
If you follow our instagram page or blog, you probably know how much we love mushrooms. They are so versatile and add a beautiful meaty texture! We hope you find this BBQ pulled mushroom recipe as mouthwatering as we did. Eating a vegan diet doesn’t have to be boring like some people think! Here’s more of our recipes including mushrooms!
BBQ PULLED MUSHROOM FLATBREADCourse: Dinner, AppetizerDifficulty: Easy
2 packs of oyster mushrooms
1 large focaccia bread loaf (any type of flatbread will work)
2 cups of broccoli florets
¼ of a large carrot
½ cup of red cabbage
1 tbsp of maple syrup
¼ cup of your favourite bbq sauce
1 tsp of sriracha
3 cloves of garlic
½ a large sweet onion
2 tbsp of avocado oil (optional)
3 tbsp of vegan mayo
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium low heat and add half your avocado oil.
- Dice your onions into small, thin slices. Dice your garlic into small, rough chunks and add both into the pan.
- While your onions and garlic cook down, pull your mushrooms into thin strips that resemble meaty pieces. Slice your broccoli, carrots, and cabbage into thin strips and set into a bowl. They sell broccoli slaw at most grocery stores pre shredded if you prefer that option!
- Add your mushrooms to your pan followed by your maple syrup, bbq sauce, and sriracha sauce. Stir to combine.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prep a large oven tray.
- Lay your bread of choice onto your oven tray. With your remaining avocado oil, use paper towel to dap the open face with the oil. You can pour the oil on but we find it soaks into the bread too quickly to spread! The oil just helps get a really nice crunch onto your bread.
- Remove your mushrooms from heat, use tongs to spread your bbq pulled mushrooms out onto your flatbread. Bake your mushroom flatbread for roughly 10 minutes or until the crust appears crispy.
- To your bowl with your julienned veggies, add your vegan mayo and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove your flatbread from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before topping with a generous amount of your broccoli slaw.
- Slice into equal pieces, serve and enjoy!