You need to try these vegan honey garlic ribs! This turned out to be a very special recipe. A while back we made some jackfruit BBQ ribs and they turned out so well that it got us thinking about how we could use the same principles to make something different! I remember as a kid we used to order Chinese food a lot and one of the dishes my family enjoyed were these little spare ribs served in a sticky honey garlic sauce. Flash forward to a few years later after a lot of education and learning about more where food comes from and these vegan honey garlic ribs were born.
For these ribs we made homemade seitan from vital wheat gluten but also mixed in some Impossible veggie ground to add an even more meaty texture. After creating a recipe that resembles meat like this, theres really no missing animal products. Not only can you survive on a vegan diet but you can thrive. We hope you share this recipe with friends and family and see how easy it is to make the switch to a healthier, cruelty free lifestyle. If you haven’t already – check out our recipe for vegan sausage rolls using Impossible meat as well!
HONEY GARLIC VEGAN RIBSCourse: Uncategorized
1 ¼ cups of vital wheat gluten
½ a pack of impossible veggie ground (any veggie ground will work) about 2 cups worth
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of onion powder
1 tbsp of paprika
¾ cup of warm water
2 tbsp of maple syrup
4 cloves of garlic (diced)
2 tbsp of sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of grated ginger
1 tbsp of water
- Heat a large frying pan on medium low heat and add your sesame oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your vital wheat gluten, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Next, add your wet ingredients. Pour in your warm water, soy sauce and just a splash of sesame oil.
- Begin to mix your ingredients together with a wooden spoon (or your hands). When you see the gluten begin to activate add in your impossible veggie ground and really try and incorporate it into your seitan dough. We strongly suggest using your hands for this step or a good kitchen mixer with a dough hook.
- Mix your dough for roughly 5 minutes until you begin to feel it get a bit tough. Form your meat mixture into a large rectangle shape and slice into small rib shapes. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully lay your vegan ribs into your oiled pan and sear each side for roughly 3 – 4 minutes. Once they’re golden and crispy place into an oven save dish and bake for roughly 20 -25 minutes.
- Using the same pan you seared your ribs in, add your garlic and ginger and give them a quick browning before adding all your remaining ingredients. Your sauce will condense as it cooks, if it becomes too thick just add a tablespoon of water to thin it back out.
- Remove your ribs from the oven and immediately pour your honey garlic sauce overtop and fully coat eat rib.
- Serve with rice or your favourite potato dish! Enjoy.