This cream of mushroom soup is just the comfort meal you need. Now that the cooler weather is upon us, we have found ourselves craving some comforting soups. Before going vegan, we both loved cream of mushroom soup. We thought that it would probably be pretty simple to veganize without compromising any flavour! Since bacon and mushrooms compliment each other so well, we decided to add some crispy vegan bacon pieces to add some texture and salty goodness to this soup.
We were so impressed with how this soup turned out. Originally, we planned to have some left over for lunches the next day…that didn’t happen. We definitely enjoyed it a little too much! There’s nothing better than cozying up on a cold day and unwinding with a delicious bowl of home cooked soup. We promise you won’t be disappointed with this one. Not only is it delicious, it’s also very simple to put together! Sometimes the best meals are and it’s great to have quick go-tos! We hope this comforting cream of mushroom soup can warm you and your loved ones up on those cool winter nights. If you haven’t already, check out our vegan lobster bisque as well! Enjoy!
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUPCourse: AppetizerDifficulty: Easy
2 packs of oyster mushrooms (any mushroom will work if you can’t find oyster mushrooms)
1 onion (finely diced)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 litre of vegetable broth
2 cups of cashew or almond milk
2 tbsp of vegan butter
1 tsp of dried thyme
½ tsp of rosemary
3 strips of your favourite veggie bacon (we used lite life)
3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp of vegan friendly white wine
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add your vegan butter.
- Once your butter is melted, add in your diced onions, garlic and vegan bacon. We cut our bacon strips into small bits but you can cut them however you’d like!
- Once your bacon pieces are crispy, remove about 2 tbsp of them for a garnish.
- Add your chopped mushrooms into your pot along with your thyme and rosemary.
- Sauté for a few minutes until your mushrooms become soft. Deglaze your pan with your white wine. Cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Deglazing is great for getting all of that yummy flavour off of the bottom of your cooking surface!
- Pour in your vegetable broth, cashew milk and nutritional yeast. Lower heat and simmer for roughly 25 – 30 minutes.
- Use your hand blender to pulse your soup until no chunks are visible. You have the option to leave some texture but we feel cream of mushroom soup is much better with a smooth and creamy consistency!
- Plate your soup in a large bowl and top with your bacon bits you set aside earlier along with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Enjoy!