You need to try this tofu chicken parm! Chicken parmesan is a meal we used to love before going vegan. My step dad was Italian so I grew up learning about a lot of Italian dishes. Chicken parm is usually made with chicken (obviously) but we decided to put our vegan twist on it! Not only does this recipe taste just as good as the traditional recipe but it has just as much protein and a lot less fat.
I’ve been playing around with vital wheat gluten a lot lately! It’s such an amazing tool to create your own plant based meat replacements. We incorporated a bit of it into this recipe because it is a great binder when it comes to making cutlets. Tofu breaks up into chunks and crumbs so it is important to have something that helps keep everything together!
For the toppings of this parm we used our absolute favourite vegan parmesan from Earth Island/Follow Your Heart. It tastes exactly like real parmesan cheese! We hope you enjoy this tofu chicken parm recipe and use it to make your diet a little better for yourself, the planet and the animals. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a pasta idea to pair this with, we had ours with rosé pasta! Click here for our rosé sauce recipe.
TOFU CHICKEN PARMCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
½ a block of extra firm tofu
1 cup of vegetable broth ( low sodium )
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of dried rosemary
1 tsp of dried basil
¼ cup of nutritional yeast
¾ cup of vital wheat gluten
½ cup of chickpea flour ( all purpose should work fine as well )
1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
a generous pinch of salt and fresh black pepper
¼ cup of crushed tomatoes
½ cup of your favourite vegan cheese shreds
Fresh basil to garnish
3 cups of grape seed oil for frying. (This recipe can be baked as well but pan frying offers more of a restaurant feel)
- Add your tofu, vegetable broth, thyme, rosemary, basil, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to your food processor and pulse until almost smooth. If you don’t have a food processor, a high powered blender would work just fine.
- Preheat a pan on medium heat and add your oil. Pour your tofu mixture into a large mixing bowl and add your vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour. Mix with your hands making sure to fully incorporate the vital wheat gluten throughout your tofu mix. You may need to add a bit more flour to get the consistency right. Your cutlet mixture should be wet yet moldable.
- Pour your breadcrumbs onto a large plate. Form your tofu mixture into thin cutlet shapes and then press them into your breadcrumbs. Flip over and coat the other side. Your mix should be soft enough that the breadcrumbs stick.
- Once your oil is hot, carefully lay your cutlets into the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes each side or until golden brown and crispy. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees as you are frying.
- Remove your cutlets and place directly onto a baking sheet. Top them with a large spoonful of crushed tomatoes, a generous handful of your favourite vegan cheese shreds and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 for roughly 10 minutes or until your cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.
- Serve with your favourite pasta dish. Enjoy!