These vegan coconut scallops are a must try! They are little bite sized pieces of heaven. Reyhan and I are constantly thinking of new and creative recipes to share with you guys. Before we went vegan I used to enjoy a pretty popular dish called coconut shrimp, which consists of shrimp breaded in breadcrumbs and shredded coconut. It’s also usually served with a flavourful dip of some sort. I was thinking of ways I could veganize this dish. Then it dawned on me that never once have I seen coconut scallops on any menu and I thought, why not? So, using the same concept, these vegan coconut scallops were born!
Reyhan and I are already super happy with our regular vegan scallops so it just needed a little bit of recipe tweaking. These delicious bites are made with baby king oyster mushrooms and pan fried with a crunchy breadcrumb and coconut crust. We served them on a bed of sweet maple chili garlic sauce I also whipped up for it! This recipe is perfect for entertaining guests or sharing with loved ones. We hope you love these vegan coconut scallops as much as we did! We will definitely be making them again.
COCONUT “SCALLOPS”Course: AppetizersCuisine: ThaiDifficulty: Easy
- FOR “SCALLOPS”
2 packs of baby king oyster mushrooms (cut into ½ inch coin sized slices)
1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
¾ cup of shredded coconut (sweetened)
½ tsp of paprika
¼ tsp of garlic powder
¼ tsp of onion powder
A generous pinch of salt and black pepper
1 cup of cashew milk
½ cup of chickpea flour (all purpose should work fine)
1 tbsp of maple syrup
3 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- FOR CHILI GARLIC SAUCE
3 tbsp of maple syrup or agave syrup
4 cloves of fresh garlic (finely diced)
½ tsp of fresh grated ginger
½ tsp of dried chili flakes (fresh chilies if you have them)
1 tbsp of sesame oil
- Pour your oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Into a large mixing bowl, pour your cashew milk, chickpea flour and 1 tbsp of maple syrup. Whisk well to combine.
- Grab a large flat plate and pour out your breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine all dry ingredients.
- Heat a separate small saucepan and add your sesame oil. This will be the pan for your sauce.
- While that pan heats up, begin to dunk your sliced mushrooms first into your wet batter followed by rolling in your dry breadcrumb mixture. repeat until all mushrooms are coated.
- Add your garlic and ginger to your small saucepan. Sauté for a few minutes before pouring in your remaining sauce ingredients. Lower heat and simmer to reduce.
- To check your frying oil, dip a wooden spoon in and if small bubbles form.. your oil is good to fry! Carefully drop each scallop into your oil, do not overcrowd!
- The scallops cook pretty quickly depending on your oil temperature. Ours took roughly 5 minutes each side. Check the undersides of each scallop until a golden brown colour is achieved. Repeat on other side.
- Remove cooked scallops from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towel to soak up any excess oil. On a plate, scoop some of your chili sauce and top with a few coconut scallops! This way of serving is better for presentation but you can aways top the scallops with your sauce. Enjoy!
One response to “VEGAN COCONUT SCALLOPS”
[…] VEGAN COCONUT SCALLOPS — Plant Based Relationship […]