This is the best avocado toast lately for us, it’s our new go-to! On weekends I love to cook breakfast for Reyhan and I. Usually this consists of a large spread of hash browns, tofu scramble, toast – the works! When we are feeling more low-key however, we always lean towards one of our favourite breakfast/brunch recipes, which is avocado toast! There are so many different variations. I have played around with different ways to spice up plain old avocado toast for a while now. This recipe is our favourite so far! It’s super simple to make and only takes a few minutes!
This toast is topped with vegan butter, creamy avocados, maple fried onions and garlic, and everything bagel spice. We also used one of our absolute favourites crumbled Zengarry’s herb and garlic cashew cheese! The sweet maple glaze on the onions and garlic is complimented so well by the saltiness of the everything bagel seasoning! Something about this recipe just works so well. We love coming up with simple delicious treats like this one that any beginner vegan chef can whip up in a jiffy! I will continue my quest for unique avocado toast creations, but in the mean time, this is one of our all time favourites. We hope you enjoy this one!
BEST AVOCADO TOASTCourse: Breakfast, BrunchDifficulty: Easy
2 large ripe avocados
2 cloves of fresh garlic (finely diced)
½ of a sweet onion (sliced into rings)
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
1 tbsp of everything bagel seasoning
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
1 tsp of avocado oil
¼ cup of vegan cashew cheese (keep refrigerated)
1 tbsp of vegan butter approx.
4 slices of your favourite bread
- Heat a small frying pan on medium heat and add your teaspoon of avocado oil.
- Once your oil is adequately heated, throw in your sliced onions first. The onions take slightly longer than the garlic and we don’t want anything to burn!
- Once your onions begin to caramelize, add your diced garlic, maple syrup and optional chilli flakes.
- Lower heat and let all the flavours mingle for a bit in the pan. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Your maple syrup will thicken after a few minutes and become a sort of “glaze”.
- In the meantime, toast your bread and spread a small amount of vegan butter on one side of each slice.
- In a bowl, mash your fresh avocados and begin to spread generously on your buttered toast.
- Next you add some of your maple onions and garlic overtop of your mashed avocados. The sweet maple in this recipe really compliments the saltiness of the butter and everything bagel seasoning.
- Remove your cashew cheese from the fridge and proceed to crumble it into small bits overtop of your loaded toast. We recommend keeping it refrigerated up until this point because we find it crumbles much easier when cool.
- The final step, sprinkle a serious amount of everything bagel seasoning overtop of your toast. You can usually find this seasoning at most big supermarkets or bulk food stores.
- Serve on its own or part of a brunch spread! We hope you enjoy this simple, delicious toast as much as we did. Cheers!