These southern style tofu bites are super simple and so delicious! They have immediately become one of our new favourites meals. It will definitely be a go-to for us! Reyhan and I are constantly looking for simple protein fixes. It seems more and more of our friends are trying to incorporate more plant based meals into their daily lives as well! We get asked about the best ways to prepare tofu quite often! Tofu by itself can be quite bland. However, it’s super versatile and very easy to transform into a delicious main course. Not to mention that it is super inexpensive and healthy for you!
For this, the tofu bites can be air fried or baked in the oven. They offer a crunchy exterior and a light protein packed centre! We went for a southern fried chicken vibe (excluding the chicken of course) and served then with a spicy hot sauce and sliced dill pickles. (Psst… if you haven’t tried Bubbie’s pickles, you have to. Not sponsored, just love them!) We hope simple fixes like these southern style tofu bites help make going vegan a little less confusing and a little more exciting!
If you need any other tofu inspiration, check out more of our tofu recipes here!
SOUTHERN STYLE TOFU BITESCourse: LunchCuisine: SouthernDifficulty: Easy
1 block of extra firm tofu
¼ cup of vegan mayo
1 tbsp of water
2 cups of vegan breadcrumbs
½ tsp of garlic powder
½ tsp of onion powder
A pinch of cayenne pepper
A pinch of salt and black pepper
Roughly 3 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- Remove your tofu from packaging and pat dry with paper towel. Place your tofu on your cutting board and cover with paper towel. Place a plate or bowl onto of your tofu and let it sit for 5 minutes. This helps remove any extra moisture from the tofu! (Or you can use a tofu press if you have one!)
- Pour your vegetable oil into your pan and set to medium heat.
- Mix your mayo and water in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine your breadcrumbs and remaining dry ingredients.
- Slice your tofu into desired shapes, we decided to go with strips! Dip your tofu into your mayo and water mixture followed by rolling in your breadcrumbs. Press your tofu into the breadcrumbs to ensure they are all fully coated.
- Fry your tofu for roughly 5-6 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and place directly onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- Plate and serve with your favourite dipping sauces! These tofu bites also go great in a wrap or on top of a salad!