This curried jackfruit penne was a new, unique change to our usual pastas! If you have seen our Instagram page, you know that Reyhan and I are no strangers to pasta. It’s always a go-to for us. We are always thinking of creative ways to spice up pasta dishes so it never gets too boring! This penne is loaded with warm curry flavours that go perfectly with the meaty jackfruit. By pan frying this penne it adds a level of texture to the pasta that we find so delicious. As a teenager I always used to make sure I had leftover pasta so I could pan fry it the next day – it makes it even better!
Jackfruit is such a versatile meat replacement. It has a slightly sweet flavour that is easily influenced by the spices it’s cooked with. We find ourselves using it more and more in our recipes! The combination turned out so great in this pasta dish. If you’re looking for a different kind of pasta we definitely recommend trying this. We hope you love the flavours of this curried jackfruit penne recipe as much as we did!
CURRIED JACKFRUIT PENNECourse: Uncategorized
Around 6-7 cups of uncooked penne noodles
1 small sweet onion, diced
4 cloves of fresh garlic, diced
1 pressed cup of strained shredded jackfruit
2 tsp of curry powder
1 tsp of masala powder
1 tsp of turmeric
A pinch of cayenne pepper
½ cup of coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro to garnish
1 tsp of maple syrup
1 tbsp of avocado oil
- Set a large frying pan to medium heat and pour in your avocado oil.
- Fill a large pot with salted water and set to high heat.
- To your frying pan, add your onions, jackfruit and garlic. Make sure your jackfruit is as dry as possible.
- Once your water is boiling, pour in your pasta. Keep at a rolling boil for roughly 10 minutes or until your pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Once your onions become soft, add your curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, masala and maple syrup to your frying pan. Stir to fully coat everything in your spice mix.
- Deglaze your frying pan with your coconut milk and make sure to mix well. It should turn a beautiful golden yellow colour.
- Strain your pasta and scoop your cooked noodles directly into your frying pan. Carefully toss your pasta to fully coat with your curry sauce. At this point you can salt and pepper to taste. You also have the option to add a bit more coconut milk if you like it a bit saucier!
- Once your pasta is fully covered in sauce, remove from heat and serve. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a spritz of lime juice. Enjoy!