This simple vegan fajita filling recipe will have you coming back for more! They are super simple to make and packed with flavour. It can easily be adjusted by adding whichever veggies you prefer. For a meaty element to this recipe I used dehydrated chanterelle mushrooms. By rehydrating the mushrooms with “chicken-less” broth (vegan chicken broth) it gave the mushrooms extra flavour that went so well with the spices! If you don’t have dehydrated mushrooms (or a dehydrator) you can definitely just use regular mushrooms as well. *If using regular mushrooms you can splash some broth into the frying pan – just enough to deglaze the pan!
We went with the traditional fajita toppings of sautéed onions and bell peppers! This recipe saves great for leftovers as well. I took some to work the following day and they were just as delicious! Healthy, feel good recipes like this one leave us feeling satisfied and not too “heavy”. We love having a few of these simple meals in our arsenal as go-to’s. We hope you enjoy this vegan fajita filling and share among friends and family! Make sure to tag us on social media if you try it – @plantbasedrelationship! *
If you’re looking for a different recipes to use up mushrooms, check out our other mushroom recipes here!
VEGAN FAJITA FILLINGCourse: Lunch, Dinner, AppetizersCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
3 bell peppers, we used red and orange!
2 large Spanish onions
Around 2 cups of your favourite mushrooms (dehydrated if possible)
2 tbsp of avocado oil
½ tsp of paprika
½ tsp of cumin
¼ tsp of garlic powder
¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
½ tsp of chilli powder
½ tbsp of maple syrup (this just adds a bit of sweetness and helps to mellow out the spice flavours)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of vegan broth (if you’re using dehydrated mushrooms)
- Place your dehydrated mushrooms in a bowl and pour in your broth. You can use regular mushrooms just leave out this rehydration step.
- Slice your bell peppers and onions into thin strips and set a large pan to medium low heat.
- Pour your avocado oil into the pan. Once its nice and hot, you can add your sliced veggies!
- If you are using the rehydration method for your mushrooms, remove your mushrooms from the broth and press with dry paper towel.
- Add your mushrooms, spices and maple syrup to your veggie stir fry! Make sure to taste test to determine how much salt you want to add. You want the filling to be well seasoned because topping your fajitas with avocado and sour cream like toppings will drastically tone down the spices.
- Once your veggies become caramelized and well coated in your seasoning, set to low and let them slow cook for roughly 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. We topped ours with salsa, vegan sour cream and avocado. This simple recipe saves great as leftovers as well. We hope you enjoy!