This vegan jackfruit pot pie is our take on the classic dish, chicken pot pie! This dish incorporates all the flavours and textures of a traditional chicken pot pie, without harming any of our little feathered friends. The chicken replacement we chose was a favourite in the vegan community – jackfruit! If you’re new to your vegan journey you may have never had jackfruit before. Jackfruit is a fibrous fruit that when cooked right, it greatly resembles pulled pork or chicken. You can either purchase it canned, which is what we used for this recipe or you can purchase one like this that is pre prepped.
We chose to make our pot pie in more of a casserole form and it worked out so well! We found this gave more room for our creamy filling. This is one of those recipes that you can make and have lunches for a few days afterwards, it saves great in the fridge! We hope you enjoy and find this vegan jackfruit pot pie recipe as warm and comforting as we did. If you re-create it, we would love to see it. Make sure you tag us @plantbasedrelationship on socials!
If you’re looking for more comfort food, click here for some more of our recipes!
JACKFRUIT POT PIECourse: DinnerCuisine: SavouryDifficulty: Medium
2 large carrots, diced
2 large white potatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 can young jackfruit, drained and roughly chopped
1 box tender flake vegan puff pastry
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped and stems removed
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped and stems removed
¾ cup of raw cashews
1 cup cashew milk or water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp of vegan butter
- In a large deep frying pan, add your vegan butter and bring it to a simmer.
- Add your diced potatoes, carrots and onions along with your rosemary and thyme. If you can cover with a lid that will help you steam your veggies and speed up the cook time.
- Cook your veggies for roughly 15 – 20 minutes or until they begin to soften. Next, add your shredded jackfruit and garlic. Continue to sauté for 10 minutes. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add your raw cashews and cashew milk to a high powered blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. Pour your cashew sauce into your pan and cook on low for a few minutes. Once your sauce begins to thicken, turn off heat and grab a large, deep baking dish. This is also a good time to taste test your cashew sauce filling and add your salt and pepper.
- Pour your jackfruit and veggie filling into the baking dish. Press your vegan puff pastry into a large rectangle shape, big enough to cover the top of your casserole filling.
- Spread out your pastry overtop of the casserole and bring the pastry all the way to the edges of the baking dish.
- Bake for roughly 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!