Vegan avocado grilled cheese is an absolute dream meal! We were lucky enough to be sent some delicious sprouted bread from Silver Hills. We have been big fans of their bread long before we were gifted this kind. They have so many different kinds, we actually hadn’t tried this one before! They’re plant-based, non-GMO and are now available at Costco which is amazing. Working with them inspired us to come up with a recipe that is simple to make yet extremely satisfying. Both Reyhan and I realized we haven’t had a grilled cheese in a very long time.
It can be difficult to find a vegan cheese that has that classic gooey melty texture. We came up with a homemade vegan smoked cheddar cheese for these sandwiches and it was one of the best vegan grilled cheeses we have ever had. The sprouted bread from silver hills really held up and had such a delicious crunch after pan frying! We added avocado for another layer of flavour and texture to this childhood favourite. We hope you find this vegan avocado grilled cheese recipe helpful and just know you don’t need to miss cheese anymore with options like this!
Avocado grilled cheeseCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Vegan, Comfort foodDifficulty: Easy
Vegan avocado grilled cheese is an absolute dream meal! This homemade cheese will wow even non-vegans.
- For the cheese
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
2 ½ tbsp tapioca starch/flour
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
- For the rest of the sandwich
4 slices of Silver Hills sprouted bread
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 large ripe avocado
- *If you don’t have a high powered blender, you will need to pre soak your raw cashews for at least 30 minutes minimum. If you have a high powered blender (like a Vitamix) you can omit this step.
- Add all of your cheese ingredients to your blender. Pulse until completely smooth.
- Heat a saucepan on low-medium heat and pour in your vegan cheese sauce. It will be very liquid at first but will thicken substantially as you cook it.
- While your cheese sauce is cooking, heat up a frying pan on medium heat.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Once your cheese sauce has thickened and resembles a cheese fondue, place one piece of your bread buttered side down in the frying pan and scoop a generous amount of your cheese sauce on top. Then followed by some sliced avocado and a touch more of your cheese sauce. Finally, top it with the other slice of bread.
- Keep an eye on it and flip carefully. Pan fry for about 5 minutes each side or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from heat, slice diagonally corner to corner, serve and enjoy!