We were so excited to make these banana blossom chicken burgers! We believe one thing the vegan community isn’t lacking is veggie burgers. We do however find it harder to find a good chicken burger replacement sometimes! We have been looking for banana blossom for quite some time and finally came across it on well.ca. The banana blossom made such a great chicken replacement due to its fibrous texture. We breaded it in a southern style breading that came out so crispy and delicious. There’s nothing better than biting into a crispy sandwich topped with vegan mayo and fresh lettuce! We decided to top these burgers with a drizzle of buffalo sauce and some fresh sliced dill pickles.
If you are ever craving fast food this is a great recipe that will surely satisfy your cravings! It’s so great coming across meat replacement such as this that are so unique and delicious. Hopefully it will become more readily available in grocery stores near us soon! We hope the recipe for these banana blossom chicken burgers recipe finds you well during these tough times and brings a little joy to you and your family.
Banana blossom “chicken” burgersCourse: DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Medium
3-4 cups of vegetable oil for frying
1 can of marinated banana blossom
1 1/2 cups of unsweetened oat milk
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 cups of vegan breadcrumbs
A generous pinch of garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
A pinch of salt and pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp of your favourite vegan hot sauce
- Heat a large deep frying pan on medium heat and add your vegetable oil for frying.
- While your oil is preheating grab a mixing bowl and combine your unsweetened oat milk and all purpose flour (your wet mix).
- Grab a large plate and combine your vegan breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to thoroughly mix your dry ingredients together (your dry mix).
- Open your can of banana blossom and pat dry with paper towels. Remove any hard stems that you can see but all of the plant is edible.
- Once your oil is hot, dunk your banana blossoms into your wet batter mix followed by your dry mix. Carefully place your breaded fillets into your hot oil.
- Fry for roughly 7 to 8 minutes each side or until a crispy golden brown colour is achieved.
- While your banana blossom is frying heat up a small sauce pan on low-medium heat.
- Add your hot sauce and your vegan butter to the sauce pan and combine. This is a great easy way to make a delicious wing sauce or in this case chicken burger topping.
- Once your fillets are fried to your liking remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel. This helps to drain any excess oil and let them cool.
- Place on your burger buns and top with desired toppings. We chose a simple topping list of fresh iceberg lettuce, vegan mayo, dill pickles, and the quick and easy buffalo sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!