These coconut tofu shrimps make a great topper to pasta, rice or salad! If you can’t tell by now, we love veganizing so many different dishes. We were sent a bag of Benefits By Nature (BBN) Quinoa flour from Healthy Planet and wanted to make something fun incorporating it! These shrimps were on our to-make list so we decided on them. Tofu coated like this is honestly incredible. For people who say they don’t like tofu, they need to try it like this. The shredded coconut gives it a slight sweet taste that is seriously so delicious. There’s just something about a crunchy exterior with a soft interior!
Tofu is such a staple for us. You can create it into so many different dishes! We also love how affordable it is – you’re only ever paying a few dollars! It gets a bad rep for the texture or bland flavour but you just need to know how to cook it. Once you’ve got it figured out, it is so simple to work with. The texture is super satisfying to us now and it absorbs any flavour! We hope you love these coconut tofu shrimps if you try them!
Check out more of our tofu recipes here.
Coconut Tofu ShrimpsCourse: DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and patted dry
2 cups vegan breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of shredded coconut, sweetened
1 cup of quinoa flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
A pinch of cayenne pepper
A pinch of smoked paprika
A pinch of salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups of cashew or oat milk
3-4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Carve your tofu into shrimp shapes. Save your left overs for a tofu scramble!
- Preheat a large deep pan and add your vegetable oil.
- In a mixing bowl combine your breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, all of your spices, and half a cup of quinoa flour.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together your cashew milk, remaining quinoa flour and all purpose flour. The all purpose flour can be omitted. We found that it helped thicken the wet mix so we added it!
- Once your oil is heated, dip your tofu shrimps into your wet mix followed by coating in your dry breading.
- Carefully drop your “shrimps” into your oil and fry until golden brown.
- Finish with a dash of salt and serve! Enjoy.