It’s been raining a lot in Ontario lately, so this coconut curry stew was a perfect meal! We were in the mood for a healthy easy meal during the work week as well. So, I whipped up this super simple, one pot curry stew! Not only is this stew light on clean up, it’s made with whole foods and has incredible deep flavours. Reyhan and I have been trying to create more meals using only whole foods. Eating mock meats every now and then is perfectly fine. However it’s always good to incorporate as many unprocessed veggies as possible. This hearty stew is loaded with chickpeas, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, sweet onions, garlic and more.
We even saved some for lunches the next day and it was just as good! We have always loved the flavour profiles of curry dishes. The warm spices include turmeric, curry powder, coriander and cilantro. After eating wholesome meals like this you will want to keep experimenting with different spices and flavours. It seems like every week we try something new that turns out to be a new favourite. Anyone that says vegan food is boring or bland should try this stew and let me know their thoughts afterwards. We love how food brings people together and makes people happy. We hope you love recipes like this because I will be experimenting with more whole food creations in the near future! Share this coconut curry stew recipe with friends and family! If you enjoyed it and be sure to tag @plantbasedrelationship. We love any feedback we can get! Enjoy.
Here’s some more of our cozy soup recipes!
COCONUT CURRY STEWCourse: DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
This one pot coconut curry stew is super easy and filled with healthy whole foods!
2 tbsp avocado or grape seed oil
3 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup of bamboo shoots or 1 small can
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1/4 cup fresh summer peas
1/2 medium onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 can chickpeas, strained and rinsed
1 cup veggie broth
2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp diced cilantro to garnish
- Heat a large sauce pot on low-medium heat and add your oil. This stew is a one pot stew so you will only need one dish!
- Once your oil is hot, pour in your diced potatoes, sweet potato, carrots and onions. These take the longest to soften so that is why we will cook them first.
- Cook your potatoes and carrots for approximately 10 minutes or until they begin to soften slightly.
- Next, add your chickpeas, fresh peas, bamboo shoots, garlic and ginger. Continue to cook for a few minutes. There is a lot of veg going into this pot so you should give them a stir every couple of minutes to ensure an even cook is achieved.
- Now you can pour in your spices. Add your curry powder, turmeric and coriander. You can add a dash of cayenne pepper for a bit of heat as well! Give it a good stir to evenly coat your veggies in your spice mix.
- Pour in your coconut milk, veggie broth and cashew milk. Bring it up to a simmer and then lower heat and cover. If you would like more liquid to your stew you can add a bit more cashew milk!
- Cover and let your stew simmer for another 30-40 minutes. This is the step that finishes cooking all of your veggies and infuses them with all those delicious spices. You can add your salt and pepper according to your preferences, everyones different!
- When your potatoes are nice and soft, remove pot from heat and serve in a large deep bowl. This stew would also be delicious served overtop of some sticky coconut rice.
- Top with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro or parsley and enjoy!