These stuffed zucchini rolls turned out more delicious than we could ever have imagined. If you follow our Instagram, you know we have a pretty decent garden growing this year! Any guesses as to what we harvested? Zucchini! Sometimes referred to as summer squash, these delicious little bundles of joy are a super versatile vegetable. They can be breaded and fried, baked, turned into noodles or rolled up like we did for this recipe!
These zucchini rolls are stuffed with our homemade tofu ricotta cheese and topped with vegan breadcrumbs and a touch of vegan mozzarellas shreds. We baked them in a bath of garlic and basil tomato sauce. We put these in the oven to bake while Reyhan and I worked out and when we came back upstairs the smell was incredible. It smelled exactly like an authentic Italian restaurant! Not only are these rolls delicious, but they are also very healthy.
This is a low carb low oil recipe that doesn’t hold back on taste. Lately we have been trying to come up with super healthy recipes that still deliver an amazing flavour. We are so happy with how this one turned out and hope you enjoy this as much as we did. In ours we used yellow and green zucchini to make it even more visually appealing, but green zucchini works just fine! If you have the room to start a veggie garden at home we strongly recommend it. It’s so amazing to see exactly where your food comes from. Not to mention it tastes 10x better fresh from the garden. Choosing to eat vegan recipes like this does wonders for your health, the environment and the animals we have been abusing for far too long. Thank you for supporting our blog and we hope you enjoy!
STUFFED ZUCCHINI ROLLSCourse: DinnerCuisine: Italian, VeganDifficulty: Medium
These Stuffed zucchini rolls turned out so incredible. They are filled with our staple vegan tofu ricotta and baked in marinara.
3 large zucchinis, green or yellow, sliced thinly lengthwise. Theres usually a side dedicated to this on a standard 4 sided cheese grater
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 jar of tomato and basil tomato sauce
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp fresh basil, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
½ tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp oat milk or cashew milk
Juice from one whole lemon
¼ cup vegan breadcrumbs
¼ cup vegan mozzarella style shreds
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place your thinly sliced zucchini onto your baking tray and drizzle with your avocado oil. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and make sure to rub the oil on both sides of your zucchini slices. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 just to soften them up a bit.
- To a blender or food processor, add your tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, parsley, garlic powder, 1 tbsp of basil and 2 tbsp of cashew or oat milk. Pulse until a ricotta cheese texture is achieved. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grab a deep casserole dish and pour your tomato sauce into the dish.
- Remove your zucchini strips and let them cool for 5 minutes. Add about 1 tbsp of your tofu ricotta into the middle of each strip and begin to roll them up. This can be a bit messy but totally worth it.
- Set each roll into your casserole dish face up and evenly spaced. Top with your breadcrumbs and vegan mozzarella shreds.
- Bake at 350 for roughly 40 minutes or until your sauce is bubbling and tops begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with a dash of salt and your remaining 1 tbsp of fresh basil! Enjoy.