Fish tacos remind us of summer patio eats, so these banana blossom fish tacos were the perfect summer dinner! Before Reyhan and I went vegan we both loved this classic dish. A crispy fillet loaded with salsa, avocado and fresh greens. We were lucky enough to come across some canned banana blossom. Banana blossom is a large flower that grows at the base of a banana plant! It’s becoming fairly popular among the vegan community because of its texture. This flowers texture greatly resembles fish and chicken.
Banana blossom comes canned in either brine or some sort of marinade. You treat this flower just the same as you would a fillet of fish or chicken! We breaded ours in a light, fluffy batter and topped it off with fresh cherry tomato salsa and other goodies. This recipe is very customizable and you can top these tacos with whatever ingredients you’d like! Coming across new and exciting ingredients like this really sparks a fire in us to create some amazing recipes for you guys to enjoy. We received a lot of questions about banana blossom when we first posted it to our instagram. These banana blossom fish tacos recipe are pretty simple but we promise its super delicious and satisfying. We hope this dish hits all of your seafood cravings while letting our little finned friends enjoy their ocean. P.S here is our reel showing how we made it!
Also in case you missed it, check out our banana blossom burgers!
“FISH” TACOSCourse: DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 can banana blossom, thick stems removed. They are a bit messy but hold together for the most part with care.
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1 cup soda water
A pinch of cayenne pepper, if you like a little heat
1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp onion, finely diced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely diced
1/2 tbsp avocado oil
1/2 tbsp balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
Vegetable oil for frying, enough to almost fully cover your fillets
- Pour your vegetable oil in a large deep pot and set to medium heat. Grab yourself a large mixing bowl in the meantime.
- To the bowl, add your self raising flour, salt, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper. Make a well in the centre of your dry mixture and slowly add your soda water. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix your diced cherry tomatoes, onions, cilantro, avocado oil and balsamic glaze. This is a really simple salsa but we found it went great with the tacos! Mix well to combine and set aside.
- To test if your oil is hot, dip a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles form around the spoon, you’re good to start frying!
- Dip your banana blossom pieces into your wet batter and carefully drop them into your hot oil. Fry for roughly 6-7 minutes each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove your pieces from the oil and set onto a plate lined with paper towel. This will drain any excess oil from your fillets!
- Place your banana blossom pieces onto your tortillas and top with a bit of your salsa. We also topped ours with shredded cabbage, avocado and sour cream. Everyones different when it comes to toppings so go crazy!
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
2 responses to “BANANA BLOSSOM FISH TACOS”
[…] In case you missed it, check out our other latest vegan seafood post – these fish tacos! […]
[…] If you missed it, check out our banana blossom fish tacos! […]