This is a perfect recipe for those nights that you don’t want take out but also don’t want to be in the kitchen for hours. Using simple ingredients you can make a pasta dish that is sure to impress your partner or loved ones. We made a super simple butter herb sauce and let our mushrooms and kale soak up some of that delicious flavour. We used Shiitake mushrooms but really any mushroom will work. We recommend cremini mushrooms for a similar taste and consistency! If you have never pan fried pasta before, you need to try this recipe. Frying your pasta in this butter herb sauce gives the noodles more texture and really elevates the flavour of this dish. Everyone knows how good kale is for your body but we feel like people have a negative view on its taste. Kale can be such a delicious part of your meal if you know the right ways to cook and flavour it. We love kale seasoned with nutritional yeast, garlic and lemon juice. Theres something about that combination that works so well together. We hope you enjoy this recipe and share it amongst friends and family who are curious about a plant based diet!
MUSHROOM KALE FARFALLECourse: DinnerCuisine: Italian/VeganDifficulty: Easy
15 medium sized mushrooms
2 cups chopped kale, roughly 3 large stems
5 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes, optional
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil, roughly 10 basil leaves
3 cups dried farfalle noodles
1/4 tsp salt
A pinch of black pepper
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup unsweetened oat milk
- Wash and cut the stems out of your mushroom caps, set aside. Finely chop your basil, and parsley. Peel your garlic cloves and dice. Remove the stems from your kale and roughly chop. Slice your lemon in half, we will only be using the juice from the lemon but save the rest for lemon water!
- Heat a large skillet on low medium heat and add your olive oil. Fill a large pot with water, add your salt and set to boil. we will be preparing our veggies and sauce as our pasta cooks.
- Use a wooden spoon to test if your oil is hot. If bubbles form around the wooden spoon, you’re oil is ready! First, add your whole mushroom caps. Sauté for 2-3 minutes before adding your chopped kale and garlic. Add your dried farfalle pasta noodles to your boiling salted water and cook for roughly 11-12 minutes.
- Once your garlic begins to show a slight brown colour, add your vegan butter, parsley, onion powder, basil, lemon juice and optional chilli flakes. Stir well to make sure everything is combined. Set heat to low.
- Strain your pasta noodles and add them directly into your saucepan. Sauté for 5 minutes before adding your oat milk and nutritional yeast. The oat milk is added last just for a bit of creaminess.
- Stir well to combine. Remove from heat. Top with a small pinch of salt and fresh black pepper! Enjoy.