Reyhan and I have been craving Mexican food lately but we wanted to try something a little different! I have heard of having chilli in lettuce wraps before but have never tried. This recipe is low carb, high in fibre and protein and oh so delicious. We used red kidney beans, black beans and Impossible veggie ground to make a super hearty chilli. To spice things up a bit, I whipped up a cheesy cilantro creme sauce to top these wraps! We could honestly eat these wraps all day and not feel guilty because they’re so healthy. Did I mention its also a one pot recipe? yay for minimal clean up! When it comes to a vegan diet, beans pack a serious nutritional punch. Loaded with fibre, vitamins and protein its very important to incorporate beans and legumes into your diet. We hope you guys love this recipe as much as we did and share it with friends. If you were to give these wraps to a non vegan friend, I guarantee they would have no idea and probably ask for the recipe. Enjoy!
CHILLI LETTUCE WRAPSCourse: DinnerCuisine: Mexican/VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 medium onion
1/2 cup red kidney beans
1/2 cup black beans
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1/2 pack of Impossible veggie ground or
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
6 full leaves of crisp romaine lettuce
for creme sauce
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup non dairy milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sriracha or favourite hot sauce
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/4 cup vegan cheddar shreds to top
- Heat a large pot on low-medium heat and add your olive oil. While your pan heats up, finely dice your onion before adding it to the pot.
- Break up your veggie ground into small bits with your hands and add to your pot. Cook for 5 minutes or until your veggie ground is almost fully cooked.
- Add your kidney beans, black beans, cumin, paprika and chilli powder. Stir to fully combine and cook for another 5 minutes before adding your crushed tomatoes. Lower heat.
- While your chilli cooks, prepare your sauce. To a high speed blender, add all sauce ingredients except for your diced cilantro. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour your sauce into a bowl and stir in your diced cilantro.
- Remove your chilli from heat and let it cool to room temperate, this step ensures the hot chilli won’t wilt your lettuce!
- Once chilli has cooled down, scoop a generous amount into each of your romaine lettuce wraps. Drizzle with your creme sauce and top with a sprinkle of vegan cheddar shreds. Enjoy!