This vegan zuppa Toscana is an amazing, unique and filling soup. The weather here in Ontario is starting to cool down a bit and with fall around the corner, a soup was necessary. As summer ends, we definitely begin thinking about warmer, comfort foods. There’s nothing like being inside on a chilly day in comfy clothes, eating a warm hearty soup. We will definitely be making this again!
We can’t say enough good things about this soup. Its hearty, filling, made with wholesome ingredients and oh boy, is it ever delicious! Zuppa Toscana is a Tuscan style soup. If you live in the United States you may have seen it at Olive Garden! It’s a creamy soup loaded with kale, sausage and yellow potatoes. If you are a fan of stews and other thick soups, you will love this one. We used spicy Italian sausage in our soup but you could use any variety you’d like! Reyhan and I both find soups like this so inviting and they always leave us feeling warm and cozy. We hope you find this vegan zuppa Toscana recipe as yummy as we did and share it with loved ones. Enjoy!
VEGAN ZUPPA TOSCANACourse: DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
2 vegan hot Italian sausages
2 large russet potatoes
2 cups chopped kale
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp parsley
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
5 cups water
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2 tbsp avocado oil
- Prep: Peel and chop your potatoes into bite sized chunks. Peel and finely dice your garlic and shallots. Wash and chop your kale into bite sized pieces. Remove stems. Dice your sausages into thin slices
- Heat a large pot over medium low heat and add your oil. Once your oil is heated, add your sliced sausages, shallots and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until your sausages begin to brown.
- To a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle, add your fennel seeds, onion powder, parsley and nutritional yeast. Pulse until your fennel seeds are broken down. This helps with texture and also releases more flavour. Add your spice mix to your pot and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add your chopped potatoes and kale to the pot. Use your hands to break up your vegetable bouillon cubes and sprinkle into your pot.
- Carefully pour 5 cups of filtered water and 1 cup of full fat coconut milk into your pot. Stir, cover and set heat to low. Set a timer and cook for roughly 40 minutes with the lid on, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Enjoy.