With the cooler weather, this vegan lobster chowder is the perfect comfort meal to make! We always feel very happy with ourselves when we can recreate a classic seafood dish using only vegan ingredients. To mimic the texture of lobster, we used oyster mushrooms! Oyster mushrooms have a great, meaty texture that is perfect for this hearty chowder.
We used nori (dried seaweed) to give this recipe that classic seafood taste. It works so well and it’s so easy to get your hands on. You can typically find it at any grocery store, either in the international aisle or near the sushi bar. With it being officially fall, we decided it’s time to start coming up with some warm, inviting recipes. Not only is this recipe delicious and healthy but it’s also made in only one pot! Who really has time to wash a bunch of dishes? Not us! The quick clean up makes it even better. We love to make some extra for some lunches throughout the week too! We hope you enjoy this vegan lobster chowder and share it with friends and family! Be sure to tag us on social media if you re-create it!
Check out our lobster bisque here!
VEGAN LOBSTER CHOWDERCourse: DinnerCuisine: Vegan/SeafoodDifficulty: Easy
1 cup chopped oyster mushrooms
1 large russet potato
6-7 cherry tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
½ sheet dried nori
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 cup raw cashews
5 cups water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
- Tomato Base Mix
¼ cup crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp parsley
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp thyme
1 tbsp cooking oil for frying
- Prep: Chop oyster mushrooms into small pieces. Dice garlic, shallots, chives and cherry tomatoes. peel and chop potato into bite sized pieces. Use hands to crumble the nori sheet into small flakes.
- Set a large pot to medium heat and add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Once oil is heated, add mushrooms, shallots, garlic, tomatoes and crumbled nori. Sauté for 5 minutes or until shallots soften.
- In a small bowl, combine all tomato base mix ingredients. Pour base mix into pot and add diced potatoes. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- To a high powered blender, add all broth ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour broth into pot and add half of the diced chives. Set heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes only taking the lid off to occasionally stir.
- Remove from heat and plate in a large deep bowl. Sprinkle with remaining diced chives and add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Enjoy.