This vegan zucchini lasagna turned out so delicious! We have been trying to come up with ways to limit our carb intake. Not that carbs are bad, but there are health benefits to limiting them from time to time! I’ve been wanting to make a lasagna recently and came up with this no noodle version. This hearty dish has layers of meaty sauce, creamy tofu ricotta and fresh sliced zucchini. For the meat sauce we used Impossible veggie ground! Impossible is by far our favourite faux meat but you could easily do a basic tomato sauce if you want to omit the veggie ground!
Another great aspect of this recipe is the minimal clean up! This entire dish is made using one cast iron pan or oven safe pan. When a recipe is one pot, it makes us even more excited to make it, just knowing we won’t be cleaning up forever in the kitchen afterwards! Even with it having no noodles, it still feels like a comforting meal! We’re all about the comfort meals come fall and winter. We hope you find this vegan zucchini lasagna recipe as delicious as we did and share it with friends/family! Be sure to tag us on socials if you recreate it @plantbasedrelationship. Enjoy!
ZUCCHINI LASAGNACourse: DinnerCuisine: Italian/VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 medium sized zucchini
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
6 basil leaves
1 cup veggie ground
1 cup tomato sauce
½ cup oat milk
- Tofu Ricotta
½ block extra firm tofu
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Juice from half a lemon
⅛ tsp salt
⅛ tsp dried basil
⅛ tsp dried oregano
¼ cup vegan breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Prep: Slice zucchini into thin strips. Roughly chop onion, garlic and basil.
- To a blender or food processor, add all ingredients for the tofu ricotta. Pulse until smooth.
- If you have a compost bin, lay your zucchini slices out on some compostable paper towels and let them rest for 5 minutes. This helps to draw out any moisture. Use a clean kitchen towel if you do not have compost.
- Heat a large oven safe pan on the stovetop at medium heat and add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Once oil is hot, add onions, veggie ground, garlic and chopped fresh basil. Stir constantly until your veggie ground is fully cooked. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the tomato sauce and oat milk into the pan and stir to combine. Simmer for 2 minutes and then shut off the heat. Scoop out your sauce and transfer to a large bowl. Leave a small amount of sauce at the bottom of your pan so the zucchini slices don’t stick.
- Lay a layer of your zucchini slices down followed by a layer of tofu ricotta and then finally a generous layer of your sauce. Repeat this one more time, you should have 6 layers in total.
- Sprinkle your vegan mozzarella shreds followed by the vegan breadcrumbs overtop of the final layer. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Option: broil on low for 3 minutes to add more colour and texture to the top cheesy layer. Serve immediately and enjoy!