Vegan French onion soup was a must make for us as soon as fall hit! Growing up my mom used to make me French onion soup during the colder seasons. It was only fitting that I made a vegan version of my own! I don’t know if I can put it into words but, do you know that warm feeling you get on a cool night with a hot bowl of soup to sip on? This soup delivers that feeling and more. Not only did our kitchen smell fantastic while cooking this soup, there is also minimal clean up required. You only need one pot to make this recipe. However, if you chose to pan fry the baguette slices then you will need a small frying pan as well. Pan frying the bread grilled cheese style adds an incredible crunch to this recipe!
Caramelizing the onions really elevates the flavour. Plus a mixture of fresh herbs gives this soup a sweet earthy taste that is to die for (and no animals had to actually die for it). This recipe is super simple and can be done with ease by even the most timid home cooks. We hope you love this vegan French onion soup as much as we did and hope it brings you that warm, inviting feeling we got from it. Enjoy!
RUSTIC FRENCH ONION SOUPCourse: DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
3 large onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp coconut aminos
2 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh diced rosemary, or two sprigs
1 tsp fresh diced thyme, or 4 sprigs
5 fresh sage leaves
1 tbsp all purpose flour
3 tbsp vegan butter
1/2 tsp ground mustard powder
1/4 tsp paprika
Up to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
5 cups vegan beef broth or vegetable broth
4 1/2 inch slices of baguette
1/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Prep: Peel and cut onions in half. Slice onion halves into thin strips. Peel and finely dice garlic cloves. Remove rosemary leaves from stems as well as the thyme leaves. Finely dice rosemary, thyme and sage leaves. In a small bowl, mix together all purpose flour, mustard powder, paprika and cayenne pepper. Preheat a large pot on medium heat.
- Once pot is hot. Add 2 tbsp of vegan butter followed by the chopped onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and stir constantly. Pour in the coconut aminos to help deglaze the pan. Add diced rosemary, thyme and sage. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in 5 cups of vegan beef broth or vegetable broth and drop in both bay leaves. Bring to a simmer before setting heat to low and covering. Set a timer for 25 minutes. While the soup simmers, preheat a small frying pan to medium heat.
- With the remaining 1 tbsp of vegan butter, lightly butter both sides of each baguette slice and press down into the hot frying pan. Fry for 5 minutes each side or until golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside. Set oven to broil low.
- Pour soup into two oven safe bowls and top with two slices each of the crispy baguette. Sprinkle with vegan mozzarella shreds and broil for 2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and bubble. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before eating, careful it will be hot! Enjoy.