Nothing screams comfort food like this sweet potato shepherd’s pie! It is so decadent with layers of veggie and veggie ground. It’s topped off with creamy sweet potato mash, cheese and breadcrumbs. Shepherd’s pie was a childhood favourite of ours and we find it so comforting and inviting. Now that we are having some consistent true fall weather, you can expect to see more recipes like this from us! Also, the veggie ground is cooked in a vegan beef broth with herbs and spices to elevate the flavour. If you thought shepherd’s pie needed meat to be flavourful, think again! This vegan version is not missing anything.
Originally, shepherd’s pie used to be topped with pastry. However, along the way it became the norm to top them with mashed potatoes instead! Adding sweet potatoes to the mashed potatoes adds a slight sweetness and beautiful colour to this dish. It makes it even more delicious in our opinion. It’s now our favourite way to have shepherd’s pie! We hope you enjoy this sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe. It can bring you a little bit of warmth this autumn!
Check out more of our comfort food dishes here! Make sure to tag us on socials (Instagram, Facebook) @plantbasedrelationship with your recreations.
SWEET POTATO SHEPHERD’S PIECourse: DinnerCuisine: Comfort/VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 small sweet potato
2 small russet potatoes
2 cloves garlic
½ cup corn
½ cup peas
340g veggie ground
¼ cup veggie beef broth or vegetable broth
¼ tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp non sweetened plant based milk
¼ cup vegan breadcrumbs
¼ cup vegan mozzarella shreds
1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Prep: Peel and chop sweet potatoes and russet potatoes. Finely dice garlic and onion. Dice carrot into small pieces. You want to match the size of the carrots to the size of the corn and peas. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Preheat a large skillet and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once water is boiling, add chopped sweet potatoes and russet potatoes. Boil for roughly 10 minutes or until fork tender. To the skillet pour in 1 tbsp of cooking oil.
- To the heated skillet, add veggie ground, onions, garlic, carrots, peas and corn. Cook for 5 minutes before mixing in the dried thyme and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes until veggie ground is fully cooked and onions have softened then mix in ¼ cup of veggie beef broth.
- Strain potatoes and place them back in the same pot. Mix in vegan butter and plant based milk. Use a potato masher to fully combine. To an oven safe casserole dish, pour the veggie ground mixture into the bottom of the dish. Pour the mashed potatoes overtop and use a fork or spatula to evenly spread. Sprinkle top with mozzarella shreds and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees or until the top is brown and golden. The filling underneath may bubble up the sides of the dish, this is normal. Remove from oven and top with diced fresh parsley. serve and enjoy!