This Swedish meatball fettuccine recipe is inspired by the Swedish meatballs served at Ikea! Before we went vegan we used to love the meatballs at Ikea. They were a nice change up from the traditional Italian meatballs and tomato sauce. Swedish meatballs are served with gravy and sometimes a cranberry type sauce to dip. These vegan meatballs are made with Beyond Meat, chopped walnuts for an added brain boost along with breadcrumbs, herbs and spices.
If I gave these to a carnivore I bet they would never guess that they are vegan. They are cooked in a vegan gravy and served overtop of fettuccine noodles! You could also make just the meatballs without the pasta. It would be a perfect dish to bring for a holiday appetizer! We’re sure that both vegans and non-vegans will eat these up.
It is also such a comforting meal that is perfect for the fall and winter months. We hope you love this vegan Swedish meatball fettuccine recipe as much as we did! Please tag us on Instagram if you make this meal, we love to hear feedback on our recipes. Enjoy! Also be sure to check out more of our pasta dishes here!
SWEDISH MEATBALL FETTUCINECourse: DinnerCuisine: Homestyle/VeganDifficulty: Easy
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 small onion
2 tbsp chopped parsley
340 grams veggie ground, Beyond meat or Impossible preferably
1 tsp ground flax seed
4 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups vegan beef broth or vegetable broth
1 cup oat cream or oat milk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 servings of dried fettuccine noodles
- Prep: Finely dice walnuts and onion. Roughly chop parsley and preheat a large skillet on medium heat. add 2 tbsp of cooking oil to the pan. In a small bowl, mix together ground flax seed along with 2 tsp of water and set aside. Ground flax mixed with water will create our egg replacement to help keep the meatballs together.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine veggie ground, breadcrumbs, flax egg mixture, garlic powder, salt, pepper, nutmeg, onion powder, chopped walnuts, parsley and onion. Use your hands to thoroughly mix all ingredients and shape them into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Place meatballs into the skillet and fry for 3-4 minutes each side. The goal is to get a nice sear on the outside of each meatball. Once meatballs are golden brown remove them from the pan and add the vegan butter to the same pan.
- Once butter is melted and bubbling, slowly whisk in the all purpose flour. Once all of the flour is mixed in you can begin to slowly add the vegan beef broth. Add dijon mustard, maple syrup, oat cream and nutritional yeast, stir well to combine.
- Place meatballs back in the pan with the sauce and continue to simmer. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add fettuccine noodles to the pot. Cook pasta according to package instructions while letting your meatballs simmer in the gravy sauce.
- Strain pasta and add noodles to the pan, use tongs to toss noodles in gravy. Plate and top with a sprinkle of extra parsley and chopped walnuts. Serve and enjoy!