Sometimes it’s good to just stick to the classics, like this vegan cannelloni! Veganizing classic meals is so fun and satisfying. Cannelloni is an Italian dish and can be found on most Italian restaurant menus. They are traditionally stuffed with ricotta cheese and then topped with a tomato based sauce. For our vegan version, we stuffed our cannelloni with tofu ricotta and baked them in a tomato sauce. It ends up tasting so much like real ricotta cheese!
Instead of topping them with shredded vegan cheese, we made a creamy cashew cheese sauce to drizzle overtop. The flavours in this dish are incredible. We gave some to Reyhan’s mom to try and she absolutely loved them. She thought we had purchased a vegan tofu ricotta and put that inside! This one is a must try if you love cheesy pasta dishes. It’s such a good comfort meal for the cold days ahead. We hope you find this vegan ricotta cannelloni recipe as delicious as we did and share the recipe with friends and family! Be sure to tag us on socials if you try it @plantbasedrelationship, we love to see your recreations!
CLASSIC RICOTTA CANNELLONICourse: DinnerCuisine: Vegan/ItalianDifficulty: Easy
- For Tofu Ricotta
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp fresh diced basil
A pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 roma tomatoes, diced
3 cloves garlic
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 cup oat milk
1 tsp olive oil
- For Cashew Cheese Sauce
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups water
A pinch of salt
10-12 oven ready cannelloni noodles
More fresh basil to garnish
- To a blender or food processor, add all tofu ricotta ingredients. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Set mixture aside. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tsp olive oil.
- To the pan, add the 3 diced roma tomatoes and diced garlic. Sauté until tomatoes become soft. Lower heat.
- Pour crushed tomatoes and oat milk into the pan and simmer on low heat. While sauce simmers, pour all cashew cheese sauce ingredients into a high powdered blender. If you don’t have a high powder blender, you will just need to strain the cheese sauce to remove any clumps. Blend until smooth and creamy and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a spoon to stuff each cannelloni noodle with tofu ricotta mixture. Once all noodles are stuffed, Carefully lay each cannelloni down into the sauce. You want the noodles to be almost fully covered by sauce or at least coated in sauce.
- Drizzle the cashew cheese sauce overtop of the cannelloni noodles. Cover pan with lid or tinfoil if necessary and bake at 400 degrees covered for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove cover and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them sit for 5 minutes. Top with more fresh basil and enjoy!