These chilli cheese potato skins are easy to make and so satisfying! They are delicious bundles of flavour. It’s the perfect meal for two or can be served as a shareable appetizer! We created baked potato skins stuffed with a meaty chilli and creamy carrot cashew cheese sauce. We then topped them with sour cream, paprika and chives. The cooler weather definitely influences the meals we come up with. As soon as the temperature drops, all we want are comforting, homestyle dishes that make you feel warm and cozy! Not only are these guys delicious but they are also super easy to put together.
This recipe can be customized to your liking as well! You can stuff with chilli, shredded BBQ jackfruit or vegan taco meat. This is the first time we’ve made a cheese sauce and used carrot for colouring and nutritional purposes. The orange from the carrot gives the cheese sauce a “cheddar” look. It worked so well and is a cheap, healthy ingredient! We hope you love this recipe as much as we did! Also, we would love to see any recreations of your own! Be sure to tag us on Facebook or Instagram @plantbasedrelationship. Enjoy!
Check out more of our comfort food recipes here!
CHILLI CHEESE POTATO SKINSCourse: Dinner/AppetizerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
- For Chilli
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup kidney beans
300 grams of Impossible veggie ground or veggie ground of your choice
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- For Spice Mix
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- For Cashew Cheese Sauce
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 tsp salt
1 medium sized carrot
4 large baking potatoes
1 tsp cooking oil
1/4 cup vegan sour cream
1 tbsp fresh chopped chives
A sprinkle of paprika to top
- Prep: dice onion, garlic and carrot. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Set a small saucepan over low heat.
- Once oven is heated, place potatoes on a lined baking tray and place in oven. Tip: rubbing the potatoes in a bit of olive oil before baking helps give them a crispy skin! Bake potatoes for 25 minutes flipping halfway. To a blender, add all cashew cheese sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy and pour into the heated small saucepan.
- To the heated large skillet, add 1 tsp of cooking oil followed by the onions and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until onions soften. Mix in the kidney beans, veggie ground and spice mix. Continue cooking for 5 minutes before adding the crushed tomatoes.
- Remove potatoes from oven but leave the oven at the same temperature. Slice potatoes in half and allow them to cool for a minute before using a spoon to scoop out some of the middle. Don’t throw this out it can be used for hash browns or potato pancakes!
- Fill the potato skins with a generous helping of chilli. The cashew cheese sauce should be nice and thick by now, use a spoon to drizzle some overtop of each potato. Place potatoes back in oven and bake for a final 8-10 minutes for until cheese sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from oven, top with a dollop of vegan sour cream, paprika and fresh chopped chives. Enjoy!