These tempura yam tempeh rolls were absolutely incredible! Here at Plant Based Relationship, we are no stranger to the soosh. Sushi has always been a go to meal out for us. Most sushi places offer an abundance of vegan choices. From avocado rolls all the way to fried yam rolls, there is usually great options! One thing that always needs to be checked however, is bread crumbs. They often contain egg, so be sure to ask your restaurant!
It’s also really fun to make sushi at home! All you need is some sticky rice, sheets of nori and your fillings. For our tempura rolls, we chose to stuff them with hoisin glazed tempeh, air fried sweet potatoes, cucumbers and avocado. This recipe is very versatile and your toppings can be swapped as you please! Making sushi at home is so much cheaper than takeout and offers an opportunity for some quality time. Reyhan and I really enjoy our sushi nights together, it’s super fun to make up new rolls together! We hope you love these tempura yam tempeh rolls as much as we do and be sure to tag us in your creations. Enjoy!
TEMPURA YAM TEMPEH ROLLSCourse: Uncategorized
1 ripe avocado
1 cup sliced cucumber or about ¼ of a cucumber
1 medium sweet potato
4-5 sheets of dried nori
1 ½ cups uncooked sticky rice
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
¼ cup dried tempura mix
¼ cup vegan mayo
½ tsp hot sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
- Prep: Peel and slice sweet potato into thin strips. Thinly chop cucumber. Set rice to simmer and then lower heat and cover. Slice tempeh into strips. Toss sweet potato sticks with a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Preheat air fryer to 425 degrees and fry for 15 minutes or until golden. Preheat a small frying pan on medium heat and add sesame oil.
- Lay out dried nori sheets on a large flat work surface. Once pan is heated, add sliced tempeh to the pan. Once tempeh is fried a bit, pour in hoisin sauce and stir to glaze.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and slice avocado. Scoop rice into a bowl and let it cool a bit. Use a spoon to scoop some rice into the centre of each nori sheet. Use the spoon or your fingers to spread out the rice to all 4 corners of each nori sheet. Preheat a pan with some vegetable oil and add water to the tempura mix according to package instructions. Pour out tempura batter onto a shallow plate.
- Lay some sweet potatoes, tempeh, avocados and cucumber down the centre of all 4 sheets. Roll up each roll carefully as tight as you can without pulling too hard. Slice each roll into evenly sized pieces. Carefully dip each side of each sushi piece into the tempura batter and then quickly transfer into the hot oil.
- Fry for 5 minutes each side or until crispy and golden. In a bowl, mix together vegan mayo and hot sauce. Top rolls with some sesame seeds and a dollop of spicy mayo. Enjoy.