These holiday rosemary twists are the perfect appetizer for any upcoming party you may have, or just for yourself at home! We were so excited to do some holiday baking with One Degree Organics flours. Thanks to One Degree Organics for sponsoring this post! Their products are some of our favourite for a multitude of reasons. First off they’re plant based and made with clean, organic ingredients. They’re also non-GMO project verified. On top of all that, all One Degree Organic products are third-party certified Glyphosate Residue Free. Since their products are sprouted, they’re much easier to digest! You gain better energy from sprouted foods as well.
When I was a kid my mom used to make breadsticks every Christmas! They were so delicious and filled the house with an amazing holiday smell. Her original version contained cheese so I had to substitute for vegan cheese and you honestly wouldn’t know the difference! We were gifted a variety of flour from One Degree Organics, one of which was spelt flour. Spelt flour has many health benefits which is why I chose it for this recipe. It’s high in magnesium and B vitamins, helps in diabetes prevention and is loaded with nutrients for an active lifestyle.
Spelt flour can be used in most recipes that call for all purpose flour or whole wheat flour and carries a lot more health benefits. These breadsticks are super simple and can be modified with whatever herbs you’d like! Seeing as the holidays are right around the corner, we opted for a sage and rosemary blend. We hope you enjoy these holiday rosemary twists and remember that healthy eating can still taste delicious!
HOLIDAY ROSEMARY TWISTSCourse: AppetizersCuisine: Vegan, HolidayDifficulty: Easy
- FOR BREADSTICKS
2 cups spelt flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp onion powder
½ tsp fine grain salt
A pinch of black pepper
¾ cup of warm water
1 tsp avocado oil
2 tbsp vegan mozzarella shreds
- FOR GARLIC HERB BUTTER
3 tbsp vegan margarine
1 tsp avocado oil
Roughly 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
Roughly 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prep a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Mix all dry ingredients for flour in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add the tsp of oil and the ¾ cup of warm water. Use a wooden spoon to mix the wet and dry ingredients together. if the dough seems too wet, add a touch more flour. If its seems too dry, add a tiny bit more water.
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour to ensure the dough doesn’t stick. kneed the dough by hand for 5 minutes or until it resembles a pizza dough. Use a floured rolling pin to spread out the dough until thin. Place a small saucepan on the stover over low heat and add vegan margarine and avocado oil. Once butter is fully melted, toss in your garlic and chopped herbs.
- Use a knife to slice the dough into thin strips and use your hands to roll the so they are round in shape. You’re basically making a bunch of thin dough ropes. Using a braiding pattern, knot the dough ropes together to form braids and squeeze dough together at the ends so they don’t come apart.
- Once the garlic in the herb butter has just started to brown, remove from heat and use a brush to glaze each breadstick. You may need to use a spoon to scoop up some of the herbs and distribute them overtop of each breadstick.
- Sprinkle vegan mozzarella shreds overtop of each breadstick and finish with a dash of salt and pepper before placing in the preheated oven to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy!