If you’re looking for a vegan meat swap – these sesame tempeh strips are perfect. When we went first vegan, we weren’t the biggest fans of tempeh. As we learned more about vegan foods and how to cook them correctly, it changed things. Tempeh is a soy based protein alternative to meat! It is such an affordable swap and you can find it most grocery stores! It’s less processed than tofu and you can actually see the soybeans inside of tempeh when it’s cut open. This recipe uses a delicious sauce to coat the tempeh and add a ton of flavour to the otherwise bland vegan protein. A good sauce/marinade makes all the difference!
This recipe will simply cover the tempeh and sauce. We served ours onto of some sticky rice, avocado and spicy mayo, which was delicious. However, you can add this tempeh to salads, noodles, rice or just enjoy them by themselves! We hope you find these sesame tempeh strips as yummy as we did and hope the recipe is helpful in your search for tasty vegan protein alternatives. Enjoy! If you try it, be sure to tag us on social media @plantbasedrelationship!
Check out our other tempeh recipe in our Instagram caption here!
SESAME TEMPEH STRIPSCourse: Lunch/DinnerCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 pack of organic tempeh
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
1 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp cornstarch
Sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat a small saucepan on low-medium heat and a medium sized frying pan on low-medium heat.
- We will start with the sauce. To your small saucepan add 1 tbsp of your sesame oil. We will save the remaining tbsp for frying our tempeh!
- Once your oil is heated, add your garlic and ginger. Sauté for a few minutes until you start to see some colour. Proceed to add your chilli flakes, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and maple syrup.
- Cook for a few minutes until your sauce begins to simmer and bubble. Add your cornstarch and water and whisk to combine. lower heat.
- Add your remaining sesame oil to your heated frying pan. Slice your tempeh into desired shape. We always shoot for thin strips! Carefully lay your tempeh strips into your heated sesame oil.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown. The reason we fry our tempeh separate from the sauce is because if you cooked it in your sauce you wouldn’t get any crispy texture on your tempeh.
- Once your tempeh is nice and golden brown, pour your sauce overtop of your tempeh strips and give them a quick toss to fully coat each piece.
- Remove from heat and garnish with some sesame seeds or sliced green onions! Enjoy.