We absolutely loved how this sausage fennel penne pasta turned out. If you haven’t tried Beyond Meats Italian sausage, you’re missing out. They did an amazing job of recreating both the texture and taste of traditional Italian sausage. My stepdad is a pretty hardcore Italian so I grew up eating a lot of meals like this one. Now I have the opportunity to recreate some of my favourite dishes but with plants. This hearty pasta dish will leave you wondering why you didn’t go plant based sooner.
We made a creamy garlic tomato sauce infused with fennel seeds and big chunks of Beyond Meat spicy Italian sausage. If you aren’t big on spice, Beyond Meat also has a sweet Italian sausage that would be just as delicious! Fennel seeds are a powerhouse when it comes to both nutrition and flavour. Studies show that fennel seeds may reduce inflammation, benefit heart health and even help to fight cancer. Seeds are so easy to add into meals and they are a great way to add a lot of nutrition in a small portion. Though we strive for more whole foods in our diet, mock meats are still always better than real meats when it comes to health. We hope you love this sausage fennel penne recipe as much as we did and share it amongst friends and family! Spread the word about living a vegan lifestyle and help people make the switch to a more conscious and healthy life. Enjoy!
Check out our other pasta recipes here!
SAUSAGE & FENNEL PENNECourse: DinnerCuisine: Italian/VeganDifficulty: Easy
4 cups dried penne noodles
2 Beyond Meat sausages
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
Up to 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil, or roughly 6 leaves
2 cups baby spinach
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
1/2 tsp dried fennel seeds
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup pasta water
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vegan mozza shreds to top
- Prep: Peel and slice your garlic into thin strips. Peel your onion and remove the first outer layer. Slice into bite sized chunks. Roll your basil leaves together and slice into thin pieces. Beyond sausages come in a thin casing. Remove this casing by slicing with a knife.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add your olive oil. Once your oil is hot, use your hands to break up your Beyond sausage into bite sized pieces and add to your pan along with your sliced onions. cook for roughly 7-8 min Utes or until your onions start to brown.
- Add your chopped basil, chilli flakes, fennel seeds and garlic to your pan. Lower heat and cook for roughly 2-3 minutes before adding your tomato sauce, plant based milk and nutritional yeast. Fill a large pot with salted water and set to boil. Stir your sauce occasionally while you wait for your water.
- Boil your pasta for roughly 10-12 minutes or until fully cooked. Before straining your pasta, scoop out 1/2 cup of your starchy pasta water and add to your skillet of sauce. Strain pasta and add directly into your saucepan. Stir well to combine.
- Keep your saucepan on low heat and slowly add a bit of your spinach at a time. The spinach will drastically wilt and lose size. Keep adding until all of your spinach is mixed into your pasta.
- Remove from heat and plate in a large bowl. Sprinkle with a dash of your vegan mozzarella shreds. Enjoy.